Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-05-2009 , 07:38 PM

PeakCity Project

A few months ago I was in discussions with a friend about me doing a web site for him, his spec for it tied in quite nicely with part of a story I'm writing for a graphic novel I'm working on so said yes and all was good!
The site was going to be all in 2d at that point, then 3d in the future and I made a good start, but after last months cityscape challenge we talked more and I put it to him that it should be 3d right from the start, using renders for the graphics on page and animated shorts when moving through to other sections of the site.so I thought I'd put a thread of what I'm doing here and when the sites done and up and running I'll post a link to it too.
The buildings I'm working on will be quite basic in modeling, but hopefully look good once textured.

# 2 28-05-2009 , 07:44 PM
Here's the first building so far, part of the finance district.
I've mapped the city out in rough already and it's going to end up being pretty complex, lucky i learnt about render layers for the challenge!

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 28-05-2009 , 09:35 PM
cool - looks like a nice start. user added image

# 4 28-05-2009 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
That is very neat and clean!! Nice work, once again!! Are there any Pod's in the city? ;-)

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 5 29-05-2009 , 04:15 PM
Thanks Arran! Hopefully I'll get quite a bit done over the next week as I'm on strong antibiotics that can make you sick, so lots of time indoors modeling!

Thanks Tom, the last challenge really helped, should end up pretty good I'm hoping, no pods I'm afraid! lol! Though I might do a fun version after it's finished with the Mother Grubber and pods in it, may as well make use of the models I've made for the challenge!

Here's where I'm at, first three background buildings getting there, won't add more detail to them til I've got most of them blocked out.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 04-06-2009 , 05:20 AM
Haven't been able to do that much more to my city for the past few days, been sorting out my pc set up, finally got it all done now and managed to get started on it again.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 04-06-2009 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
how are you make the buildings?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 06-06-2009 , 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
how are you make the buildings?

At the moment just box modeling with polys until I've got the scene layed out, then start positioning them and I'll go over each building and add in the street level bits and any extra details that need to be added. They're all in seperate scene files at the moment, importing them into the main file for rendering.

# 9 22-07-2009 , 09:11 PM
Been a while since I've been able to do much work on anything as I've been ill, but have to get this done so am back at it! The guy I'm doing the site for liked this view of the city so that was settled and have started adding some bits and pieces in to bring it a bit more to life, going to try and get this and my challenge entry done by the deadlines so have quite a task ahead of me!

Here's a quick Occlusion of where I'm at with it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 22-07-2009 , 09:35 PM
Looks great man, think that I would be pulling my hairout modeling buildings!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 11 22-07-2009 , 09:40 PM
Haha, thanks Steve, yeah, luckily I had all the buildings done already so it was just a case of positioning them all with the client to get the angle he wants.
So thankfully it's just modeling railings,bins etc for now, and then doing the detailing of the mountain (which is already started) in the background.

# 12 22-07-2009 , 09:46 PM
Try going pure procedural for the background, unless its needed. use the things in maya with the disp mapping for it then convert.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 22-07-2009 , 09:52 PM
Cool, will probably do it that way for this page of the site, but eventually the whole site will be in 3d, kind of like GTA, but more like stills with a lot of animated transitions of different lengths, so the mountain will end up needing to be built anyway. That's the plan anyway! Hahaha.
Thankfully that part is a little way down the line yet! lol!

# 14 23-07-2009 , 05:16 AM
The Nurb Herd

# 15 23-07-2009 , 09:42 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hammer.horror
[B]it sounds like Motorola City.

I hadn't actually seen that site, but yes, quite a lot like that! I'll have to show that site to the client and let him know his ideas already been done! lol

Thanks for pointing that out Hammer!