Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-10-2015 , 03:47 PM

Newbie Help - Texture Not Displaying Properly

I'll preface this by saying I've been a long time away from Maya and this is most certainly something stupid I'm doing or, more likely, not doing.

In any case, I recently downloaded a Zero (BL2) model and textures to mess around with from this link:
https://tf3dm.com/3d-model/borderlands-2-zero-92405.html

Loaded it in Maya. OK. To my uninitiated eyes, everything looked fine.
I made new materials to apply to the three parts of the mesh after deleting 2 weapon props also included in the file.

Everything goes smoothly until I select the _Dif files to use for color. Doing so makes the mesh totally transparent when going to the textured view. Conversely, the normals work fine when applied and I can see them fine if I apply them first. This also doesn't make any sense to me.

Confused, I go into the UV editor to find that all the UVs are outside of the grid. I move the UVs to match with the image, but see no change.

I'm sure it's just something stupid I'm doing, but could anyone point me in the right direction?

# 2 07-10-2015 , 05:21 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you check under the UV sets menu in the UV texture editor, do you see more than one UV set? Also, could you post a screenshot of your shading network, or which files you're trying to pipe into the material?

# 3 07-10-2015 , 06:41 PM
Lifetime Member
Look at the textures that come with the model. The diffuse textures for the body, head and hands have an alpha channel. Maya automatically connects the alpha channel to the transparency. Just break the transparency connection.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 4 08-10-2015 , 12:48 PM
Ah, jeez. Such a simple thing. Alright, I decoupled them in hypershade and that solved it. One more thing I need to study up on, then.

Thanks much, I appreciate the quick answers.