Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 31-07-2004 , 11:59 PM
Subscriber

Please help me with a modeling problem

hey i really need help on modeling
i am trying to model my head
i have the side and front pictures but i dont kno how to start it
should i use a nurbs or polygon sphere or cube
and how should i go about modeling the mouth and ears
your help would be appreciated user added image

# 2 01-08-2004 , 01:59 AM
The "Making a head" videotutorial at 3D-Palace should help you, I think. Here.

# 3 01-08-2004 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber

is this good

well i started off with a polygon sphere and then used a lattice to shape it then i duplicated the sphere then deleted the lattice and the first sphere
is this a good way to get started?
if so how do i make the spots for the eyes and mouth?
below is a picture of what i have so far

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 01-08-2004 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber

thx but...

that link u gave me wont let me download it
i keep logging in but everytime i go to a different page it tells me to login and takes me to a different page
it keeps repeating this

# 5 01-08-2004 , 03:41 AM
Well.. Spheres is better for low-detailed heads. If you want it detailed you have to use Create Polygon Tool and build up the head piece by piece. It's the same method as when you're modelling cars from blueprints.

# 6 01-08-2004 , 03:33 PM
19 year Veteran
gohan1842, have you ever worked with nurbs or subdivisions before? They are a bit faster to model with on some things. In my personal opinion, modeling a head with polygons is way too time consuming ( too many CV's ). I find ( atleast for me ) that modeling with nurbs or subdivisions is sometimes quicker.

# 7 02-08-2004 , 09:35 AM
hm.. i'm kinda new to maya too, and my suggestion would be to use nurbs shapes to create the head, and using vertises and hull fix it up, and if u want u can even go in detail. This of course takes some time. but i'm sure there is a much better and fast way, i just dont know of it :p

i suggest u download the dog tutorial and try it out first, that tutorial will give u basic knowledge about modeling. (its free too user added image)