Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-06-2008 , 04:54 PM

Maya Personal Edition

I can't afford a $3000 program, so I saw this for free on the site and jumped on it. What my question is, can you make decent models with this free version. I've seen some pretty awesome models on this site, does this have the features to make something complicated? Or would I have to buy the program if I wanted to get serious about modeling?

# 2 24-06-2008 , 05:17 PM
Jr.Who
I don't think there's any limitations to modeling in the PLE.

# 3 24-06-2008 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
no limitations at all that i know of ..just stupid watermark all over your render

# 4 24-06-2008 , 06:39 PM
So if you are getting serious, you probably should buy it. the watermark makes the renders look like crap.user added image

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 5 24-06-2008 , 06:55 PM
try looking for an educational copy from somewhere like academic superstore - it should only cost you about $370.

# 6 25-06-2008 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
Correct me if I am wrong guys, but a model made in a PLE or student edition cannot be exported into a full version. I.e. if you start a really cool project, you can't ever bring it into a full registered version and use it there. That would be a limitation if down the road you ever wanted to use your hard work for another purpose.

# 7 25-06-2008 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber
that is right i forgot i ran into that long time ago when i started

if done in PLE can only stay in PLE

# 8 25-06-2008 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber
I took a couple of classes in Maya and saw some students make incredible models in PLE... then not be able to use them for a darn thing. It's a shame. If you're gooing to make some really cool test pieces and spend alot of time doing it, I'd suggest getting a full version on Ebay or something like that.

# 9 25-06-2008 , 10:24 AM

Originally posted by shwenkerbean
I took a couple of classes in Maya and saw some students make incredible models in PLE... then not be able to use them for a darn thing. It's a shame. If you're gooing to make some really cool test pieces and spend alot of time doing it, I'd suggest getting a full version on Ebay or something like that.

I heard Autodesk is not happy about Ebay. If so, they might not let you register the product.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 10 25-06-2008 , 05:43 PM
thanks for the replies guys, I'll probably end up saving some money and gettin the full version, I'll try what arran said, and get the $400 one. The Educational, will I be able to use those models or is it just like the free learning edition? https://www.academicsuperstore.com/pr...limited/856171 Thats the one I was looking at.

Again thanks guys, this works for now but later on I'd like to actually use my models user added image

Last edited by RabbidWolf; 25-06-2008 at 05:50 PM.
# 11 25-06-2008 , 07:55 PM

Originally posted by RabbidWolf
thanks for the replies guys, I'll probably end up saving some money and gettin the full version, I'll try what arran said, and get the $400 one. The Educational, will I be able to use those models or is it just like the free learning edition? https://www.academicsuperstore.com/pr...limited/856171 Thats the one I was looking at.

Again thanks guys, this works for now but later on I'd like to actually use my models user added image

No, you can actually use the ones made with the educational license, you just can't legally use them for anything commercial.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 12 25-06-2008 , 09:58 PM
yeah - matttheman is right. go with the educational license - you can worry about getting the proper version when you're ready to do something commercial. just be aware that you'll need evidence that you are a student.

# 13 26-06-2008 , 09:18 AM
Senior Software Developer
Maya PLE is currently based off of Maya 8.5, the restrictions in place in the PLE are as follows:

Watermarked Renders
No PlugIn support (mll files)
Uses its own file extension
No Import or Export of Data to and from Full Versions
Runs for ever

The rest of the application runs the same as Maya 8.5 does.

The education version has the same as the same Version of Maya Complete, not Unlimited. As stated above Maya Education version is for personal use only and you break the EULA if any data created in Maya Education Version is found to be used in Commercial Presentions. This is due to the cost difference of the licence and the licence agreement (EULA) between it and the full versions. Also be aware you will need to be in full time education with a Valid Student ID to qualify for the Education version.

Good Luck.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 26-06-2008 at 09:25 AM.
# 14 26-06-2008 , 09:22 AM
The Educational version's unlimited isnt it (ours are here) or is there an option?

It think you can open ma and mb files in the PLE just not go back to the full version form the PLE.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 26-06-2008 , 09:28 AM
Senior Software Developer

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)