Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 26-09-2007 , 09:26 AM

Abstract Room

Hello!

This is my new project whilst I'm in Blenhiem (NZ) which is an abstract room. Please post C+C as I need help with some lighting techniques.

Attached Thumbnails

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 2 26-09-2007 , 12:03 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
The scaling of the furniture needs some work

# 3 26-09-2007 , 01:26 PM

Originally posted by mastone
The scaling of the furniture needs some work

Could be how its abstract?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 26-09-2007 , 07:57 PM
Yeah I agree with mastone. The walls got bigger and bigger while the furniture stayed the same. Will scale now.

Also heres the list of what's stacked.

Chair
Table
Another Chair
Fish Bowl
Plant
Cutlery
Plate

Took ages to get it to balance but I managed user added image

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 5 27-09-2007 , 01:11 AM
Hi louis56,

Doesn't look like you have any shadows turned on for your light.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 27-09-2007 , 02:09 AM
Yeah I only turned on shadows for the outside light. I tryed shadows for the inside light but it created a huge shadow on the ceilling which I disliked. Any ideas on how to make the outside light more powerful or any lighting ideas in general?

Thanks
Louis

# 7 27-09-2007 , 02:15 PM
If I understand the shadow on the ceiling correctly, you could turn on shadows on the interior light and then select the fixture above the light and turn off cast shadows. That will allow the light to shine through the fixture instead of casting one big shadow. Let me know if you need more detailed instructions.

For the outside light, select it and then in the attribute editor you can increase the intensity of the light and also the area of coverage. If your outside light has decay, then you will most likely have to increase the intensity DRAMATICALLY.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 8 27-09-2007 , 02:18 PM
Oh yeah, since your outside light is casting shadows, that means the light won't pass through the window (if the window is an object) even though your window is transparent. You will need to select your window and then turn off cast shadows. That way the outside light will pass through the window to the inside of your room.

You could also turn on fog on the outside light to make it appear that you can see the light shining through the room.

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 27-09-2007 , 02:59 PM
Sorry for all the posts but I figured I'd post an example of the fog just in case you weren't familiar with it. By the way, aren't you a lightwave user?

Here's an outside light (need to use spotlight) with fog and shadows turned on. To turn on fog, select the light effects section in the attribute editor and then click the checkered box all the way to the right of the light fog text box. You now have fog.

I have a transparent window with cast shadows turned off. To do that, select the window and then in the attribute editor go to the Shape Tab and then under that tab go to the Render Stats section. You will then see an option to turn of Cast Shadows.

Note: There are other settings for the fog that you can adjust like density, spread, depth, etc. although they're probably named differently than I just mentioned. Play around with them to get a hang of what they all do.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 10 27-09-2007 , 06:24 PM
:attn:

YAAAY

Thanks so much Perfecto. Will do and post an update soon.
user added image

Louis

p.s nope I don't use lightwave.

# 11 29-09-2007 , 12:26 AM
Update.

Couldn't get the same effect as yours though user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by louis56; 29-09-2007 at 12:32 AM.