Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 76 27-08-2009 , 11:54 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Fiddled with the texture , i basically applied the same texture from the first testrender but since the model somehow lost his uv map i did an automatic mapping and used zproject in Zbrush to paint it on the model again.

I am however not all to happy with the color and resolution of the texture so i will try polypainting in ZBrush to get a better result with a tad more control on where to put what

Attached Thumbnails
# 77 28-08-2009 , 12:27 AM
Well mate ... it's very bad not to layout your uv's... In my opinion the work flow must be straight

modeling
layout uvs
Zbrushing
Normal mapping if need
texturing... shading

so on..

don't miss a step and just tell yourself ok Automatic will do the work user added image

Just my opinion

Good work btw user added image

# 78 28-08-2009 , 12:30 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Yeah, the automatic maps will work fine for testing your textures, and such. But, if you want to use this for anything outside of ZB... you will need to UV it properly... for the best results that is.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 79 28-08-2009 , 12:36 AM
I will lay out the UV's manually, but i just wanted to have a quick look and the texture was already made but to my horror the uv's were gone so relax guys take a deep breath LOLuser added image

# 80 28-08-2009 , 12:39 AM
The Nurb Herd
is it just me or is he a bit cross eyed?

# 81 28-08-2009 , 12:49 AM
"is it just me or is he a bit cross eyed?"

No you are correct, but the strange thing is when i look at the wire of the eyes in topview and eyeball them along the grid they are perfectly aligned I can off course rotate them to align them using IPR but I really want to know what's the matter with it but that can wait until i finish up I guess.

Good eye though not many people see it (or they aren't looking with their "evil" eye LOL)

# 82 28-08-2009 , 11:09 AM
The eyes shouldn't be aligned with the grid, that's why he look crossed eyed. Human eyes are rotated outwards about 3 degrees.

# 83 28-08-2009 , 04:19 PM

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
The eyes shouldn't be aligned with the grid, that's why he look crossed eyed. Human eyes are rotated outwards about 3 degrees.

Hey thanks think that solved my problem there whoehoe:attn:

# 84 29-08-2009 , 01:40 AM
Have uved him properly,I imported his clothes from a previous scene had to scale them a bit .

I like his overall form/silhouette but i absolutely don't like the details they are to undefined so tomorrow I will start again with his clothes.
I have rotated the eyes , made the hat bigger en did some real minor adjustments

Attached Thumbnails
# 85 29-08-2009 , 09:15 PM
Incase some of you want to see below a wire of his body and the uv layout.
I had to make a choice between fewer pieces or more uv space for the head I actually had his body complete without any obvious seams(only a couple around the back of his head and under the arms), In the end I decided to cut the uv map in portions and make more room for his head since that is where most of the focus will be

Attached Thumbnails
# 86 30-08-2009 , 12:25 AM
# 87 02-09-2009 , 11:00 PM
"Well mate ... it's very bad not to layout your uv's... In my opinion the work flow must be straight

modeling
layout uvs
Zbrushing
Normal mapping if need
texturing... shading "

Yeah I thought so at first aswell but there are people who approach a character different;
Model a basemesh in maya
do an auto map on all basemeshes
then go to zbrush or mudbox and do a highres sculpt for normalmap creation and the likes then go back to maya do a retopology of the highres mesh so that the normal map baking works.
They layout uv's on the retopologized mesh properly and bake all their maps onto the lowres model.
I had the hardest time figuring out how they got the colortexture over to the lowres mesh, but it seems they don't use zbrush for texturing mainly Photoshop.

I find this workflow a bit of a mixed blessing I like the fact that you can import meshes at will to add to your model and worry about edgeloops and topology for animation later I hate the fact i can't seem to use ZBrush as the main colortexture app (fyi I suck at photoshop)

# 88 02-09-2009 , 11:07 PM
Why not i colored my models using Zbrush. Yeah i switch to use sometimes photoshop + zbrush but in main Zbrush. For non organic i use Photoshop...

Yeah different people different work flow but this is the best for me ... user added image

And when you are working with tide dates lats say " You must make a whole model and animate it into 2 days" This work flow you mention going back and forward between Zbrush and Maya really slow down the things sometimes something bug out and it's just :angery: .... So i prefer to take time into Maya -> Uv unwrap -> Zbrush - > Normal map -> Color map -> AO ... and so on ...

Just my work flow.

The dominance war IV winner have different he make 1st the high poly in Maya and on the high poly he make the low poly with triangles ... i will try this work flow aswell !!!

Last edited by ColdWave; 02-09-2009 at 11:10 PM.
# 89 03-09-2009 , 09:30 PM
I wasn't to happy with the last image it made him look like a chocolate version of dr Jones., I've made some adjustments to the original model and premade some geometry I could add as subtools(like pockets and such to get the hard edges and to split stuff up)

Attached Thumbnails
# 90 04-09-2009 , 12:53 AM