Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-03-2008 , 08:20 AM

Mental Ray and rough edges ?

Hi, I'm new here and I've been learning maya for a few months now and I've had this problem that comes up every once in a while when I render with Mental Ray and I've tried searching for it but I just don't know the correct term for this problem.
When I render with Mental Ray the edges tear sometimes while in Maya's software render everything looks fine just as in the perspective view. Any help would be appreciated.
I'll attach the two renders to better describe the issue.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-03-2008 , 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
hmm, im not sure whats happening there, MR and subd issues it seems, shot in the dark here, go to the approximation editor (windows>rendering editors>mental ray> approximation editor) have the object selected and in the polygon and subdivision section hit create and try the render again. could be tesselation issues.

# 3 07-03-2008 , 11:05 PM
Thanks, I gave it a try and the edges are still visible, they change slightly if I change to Curvature from Parametric.

# 4 10-03-2008 , 11:51 AM
what version of maya are you using? i think earlier versions had problems with sub ds.

# 5 10-03-2008 , 12:37 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
It's mental Ray playing up.

You could, select your object goto: Subdivision Surfaces >> Collapse Hierarchy>> and set the number of levels to 2 or 3.

Or convert your object to Poly's when it comes time to Render.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 11-03-2008 , 01:29 AM
Thanks for the tips, I managed to make it work, I guess it's about time to update to a newer version.

Just editing this post for future reference, I tried collapsing the hierarchy but that didn't solve the problem but converting it to polygons worked just fine.

Last edited by icegloda; 12-03-2008 at 10:46 PM.