Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-04-2015 , 01:08 AM

Earth Texture Problem, Image is Tiled

Hey everyone, forewarning: I'm a complete beginner when it comes to Maya. I just downloaded the trial to work on this model for an augmented reality app I'm working on. I have been reading forum posts and watching tutorials to try to find a fix for my problem but nothing seems to alleviate it.

The problem:
My earth texture on my sphere looks great in Maya, but then when I export it and view the same file in Finder the image texture is going vertical and is repeating itself instead of having the image wrap around the entire sphere. I don't know if it's a problem with the way I am applying the texture or if it's some sort of export setting I have wrong.

Anyways, I'm sure this is a super simple fix for anyone more experienced than I. I'll attach screenshots so you guys can see what I'm talking about. Thanks!

user added image

user added image

# 2 19-04-2015 , 07:00 AM
Lifetime Member
It's not just the earth that is tiled, the moon is too. First off what do you mean when you say "Export" ? You need to render the scene to see what it really looks like and then save the render.
To address your problem, you need to either UV map your Polygon Spheres so that the texture places correctly or use Nurbs spheres which already have built in UV's.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner