Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-08-2004 , 02:18 PM

Warhammer 40K Dreadnought

Hi, Here are a fews images of what I'm currently working on:

user added image

user added image

user added image

Based on the late 80's Warhammer 40K Dreadnought design.
Still more detail to add (hands, weapons and remove the seam from the two halves). Then rigged and textured for a scene involving the Dreadnought getting torn apart by a pack of crazed rabid animals, trying to get at the sweet tasting occupant inside.

Any comments welcome,

Cheers,
Trev.

# 2 19-08-2004 , 02:24 PM
Technical Director
Ewwwww.....

Anyway cool model dude! But I'm wondering how you are going to tear it apart. Just extract parts of the model? Or using the shatter effect?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 19-08-2004 , 03:07 PM
Thanks for your comments,
For the damage I was going to separate the panels, then distort them to get a sort of 'pulled apart at the seams' look. user added image

The creatures would be putting there hands inside the opened panels and pulling out any wires they can find.

Cheers,
Trev

# 4 19-08-2004 , 03:43 PM
Subscriber
Great model! but personnaly, I prefer the new Dreadnought model, looks more like a tank.

A quick technical note: there is noone inside the dreadnought, only a brain/head. If I remember right, its an honor for a spacemarine who is about to die to be transfored to the dreadnought where he can serve the emperor for another day.

I used to really like the WH40K background but since they switched their target audience to the kids and made everything for a G rating, it kinda sucks. In the good old days, the primarch of the Blood Angels was a vampire and they switched it for an angel. Kinda lame IMHO...

Great work and I cant wait to see it animated!

# 5 19-08-2004 , 04:19 PM
Nice modelling!! Looks very nice!! Good job! user added image

# 6 19-08-2004 , 04:34 PM
Thanks all! user added image

Mantat: I didnt realise they changed the design till I started looking for references on the web (couldnt find any of the old design)!! user added image This type of Dreadnought suit could fit a whole body - but only in the foetal position, suspended in a protective amniotic jelly! user added image user added image

# 7 20-08-2004 , 12:28 AM
Awesome man... can't wait to see more of it. 8-)

I'm all about the Chaos myself...if it's not obvious from my name. 8-) I've got a figure of a Lord of Change that I may do sometime soon.

# 8 20-08-2004 , 01:24 PM
i love it,
great work, good to see a classic!

Colin Graham
Animator for Hire...
my WIP video page
The Space Man Animation tests (Save as)
Online Portfolio
colinj_graham@yahoo.co.uk
# 9 23-08-2004 , 01:00 AM
Update: Model complete to scale - started the textures user added image only got as far as weapons and the face! user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

I havent decided on the main colour scheme, so I'll go with the worn metal look on the rest of the main body parts for now. user added image

Cheers,
Trev.

# 10 23-08-2004 , 03:09 AM
The bolters look great man!! Have you thought about giving him some kind of close combat weapon?

# 11 23-08-2004 , 06:22 AM
Subscriber
Thats amazing! Gr8 work!

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 12 26-08-2004 , 05:10 PM
Some quick renders - the torso is nearly complete - need to work on the textures of the engines -

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

I'll change the colour of the spheres that the Arms rotate on to match the body colour. I tried a sort of blued look to the exhaust - gonna have to work on that as its too pink! :p user added image

I'll also change the lighting to get some better renders tomorrow to pick out the details.

Cheers
Trev.

# 13 27-08-2004 , 07:33 AM
Hi,

Do you manually lay out uvs on this many parts, or do you just paint in a 3d package?

sjlocke

www.digitalplanetdesign.com
# 14 27-08-2004 , 08:38 AM
The blue'd look to the exhaust would be cool---it would seem as though it was burning oil, lol. That or either a really smoky black exhaust. 8-)

# 15 27-08-2004 , 09:15 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looking good! user added image:tup: