Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-04-2005 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber

First Model Flying Car

This is the first Model that I have built with Maya. I have been working with the Maya software for about a year now, just learning on my own. So I would like some input on what i have so far. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: bmp flyingcar2sm.bmp (211.6 KB, 153 views)

CDV
# 2 29-04-2005 , 04:03 AM
Subscriber

Hello

Here is a Jpeg

Attached Images

CDV
# 3 29-04-2005 , 12:48 PM
hi pal!
I´m learning maya too on my own. started in fall 2004. how much time do U spend on the software? and maybe what are you going for? you have a nice model here - is it nurbs?

# 4 30-04-2005 , 12:27 AM
Subscriber

Not Nurbs

No Its not nurbs. It was made using polygn modeling and then converted to subd's. Then I adjusted the subd's to get the shapes just how i wanted them. I don't get a lot of time on the computer. I may get an hour a night if I'm luck and maybe 2 to 4 hours on the weekend. I have a wife and a daughter and they keep me pretty busy. I have several books on Maya and i Read them as much as i can. Also i have some tutorial videos that i watch when i have free time. I'm sure you would agree that the software is pretty complex and its a lot of work to learn. I would like to see anything your working on. I will look to see if you have a thread here. If you don't would you post a picture on this thread if you could. Thanks.

CDV
# 5 30-04-2005 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber

A little more

Here i did a little more work.

Attached Thumbnails

CDV
# 6 30-04-2005 , 08:24 AM
sure, I totally agree with you. - it´s darn complex, and I didn´t come up with more than modeling until now. and about the time - I completely understand what you are talking about. don´t have kids myself but a girl and I have a guilty conscience about working with maya most of my spare time. but I´d realy like to earn money with a regular work using maya sometimes in the future. that´s important to me.

the 2nd version Ilike better. maybe you want to apply some kind of texture and bumpmap. I bet it would look really cool with some maps!

keep it up m8! maybe your kid likes cg sometimes so you both could spend time together user added image PS: you can find some of my work in the wip section here. it´s the humanModeling thread.

# 7 30-04-2005 , 08:26 AM
PPS: we both have the same workflow it seems. I too model in polys - convert to subDs - tweak - convert it back and tweak. isn´t it the most fun like this?

# 8 01-05-2005 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber

Mental Ray Version

This is just a version of the same thing I rendered with mental ray. What a difference that makes!

:: Oversized Image Removed ::

CDV

Last edited by I-Iybrid; 07-05-2005 at 10:54 PM.
# 9 04-05-2005 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber

Sorry for the huge picture

Here is a newer version a bit smaller.

CDV
# 10 04-05-2005 , 01:50 AM
Subscriber

Car

Here it is

:: Oversized Image Removed ::

CDV

Last edited by I-Iybrid; 07-05-2005 at 10:55 PM.
# 11 04-05-2005 , 10:01 AM
I like the reflection on the surface. also the circulator turbine. but I would recomend to try texturing the blue surface. I would look way more realistic with some kind of texture on it. maybe U have Photoshop. should be not to difficult to create a map. keep on working - looks very good to me.