Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-04-2008 , 02:08 AM

Chess Queen

I'm doing a texturing project for school and thought I post it. Almost done modeling but I'm not sure hot to model those squigly things on top of the piece. Should I model it seperately or would I be ok extruding? Crits on topology would be helpful too.

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman

Last edited by AnthonyCg; 23-04-2008 at 03:41 AM.
# 2 23-04-2008 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
So far so good, the head will be th tough part.
What kind of texture are you doing for it?

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 23-04-2008 , 07:59 PM
A general advice: model it as it in in real life. It will look most realistic.

# 4 16-05-2008 , 05:55 PM
I got more done on this today. For some reason, mental ray isn't rendering the piece correctly. I already smoothed it, but it keeps looking like it's unsmoothed when rendered even when I change views. I could use some help with this.

@alexanderH- I'll probably go with a glass look or ivory.

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Last edited by AnthonyCg; 16-05-2008 at 06:09 PM.
# 5 16-05-2008 , 06:05 PM
wire

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 29-05-2008 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber
when you say smoothed do you mean you are hitting the "1" "2" or "3" keys? If so that is not smoothing it. Infact it gives you a real-time display of what it'll look like when converted to sub d's at a display level of 1 2 or 3. I've noticed if you apply a mesh smooth with a division level of 1 than you can replicate the look of the "3" key. or converted to sub D's at level 3 display.

To get it to render as you see it displayed convert to sub d's level 3 display or add a mesh smooth and you should be just fine.

If that is not the problem do let me know.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 7 30-05-2008 , 06:26 AM
Well, the file is gone now because I didn't back it up but the problem was that I deleted the original mesh by mistake and kept the proxy. For some reason mental ray doesn't render the smoothed proxy but the low-poly version instead. So even if the poly-proxy is smoothed afterwards , mr won't render it that way.

Last edited by AnthonyCg; 30-05-2008 at 06:30 AM.