Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 07-02-2003 , 01:18 PM

Newbie attempting to model a Supra

Hi guys,

Im an absolute newbie when it comes to modelling anything. So I decided to get off my ass and try to make a car which inspires me.
So I chose a Toyota Supra.

Looking at THIS tutorial, which is meant for LW. I tried to duplicate it in Maya.

So here I am with my curves sorta looking like a Supra but no idea how to proceed with creating the panels.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

# 2 07-02-2003 , 02:19 PM
Subscriber
i am a between a Noobie and an expert maya user.... but still modelling a car... phew... thats one of the hardest things... learn nurbs and curves then go for car modelling... i myself cant model a car properly

# 3 07-02-2003 , 03:43 PM
Subscriber
hmmm well, just dive in and see how far it takes you. I guess you are bound to be learning something.

And you got the forums to ask for advice along the way. I could advice you but I don't know where to start. So just post those questions.

And hitting F1 to go through the manual may solve some of your questions.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 07-02-2003 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber
Good luck PureFire !
May the Force and the will be with you

Today man, tomorrow bird...i already have the plumage
# 5 09-02-2003 , 12:04 AM
Well Ive been giving it an honest effort, reading quite a bit and have managed to make a bonnet which you can view HERE.

I have used the biral 2 tool but found that if I use "rebuild curves" and then use biral 2, to get a smoother more even surface the biral surface wont appear. The function works but I dont see a surface.

Is this common or is there something Im not doing?

# 6 09-02-2003 , 09:28 AM
Been plugging away and although very rough, I think Im getting close to knowing what to do to model the basics of a car.user added image

user added image

# 7 09-02-2003 , 02:44 PM
Looking good so far, PF. Keep at it!

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 09-02-2003 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
looooks really good... do the same for the rest... and you are OK!!!!, damn.. iam impressed for a noobie!!!