View Poll Results: How do you use the UI?
Hotbox and Shortcuts ONLY! 3 16.67%
Lots of Hotbox, Lots of Shortcuts, Occasional Menu 6 33.33%
Some Menus, Some Shortcuts, Some Hotbox 8 44.44%
Mostly Menus and ToolBox... occasionally I use shortcuts and have used the Hotbox a few times 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-12-2003 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber

How do you use the UI?

I'd be very interested to know how you're all using the UI in Maya.

I'm quite a nOOb, so I tend to use a bit of everything... I'd be interested to know what the more experienced folk find themselves doing.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 2 12-12-2003 , 03:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
I use the shelf pretty heavily. Not sure if that's what you mean by shortcuts or not. Have to say I rarely use the Hotbox.

# 3 12-12-2003 , 03:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I use the shelf pretty heavily. Not sure if that's what you mean by shortcuts or not. Have to say I rarely use the Hotbox.

Shortcuts = shortcut keys.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 4 12-12-2003 , 07:29 PM
Subscriber
I must say ever since they introduced the shelves I have been using them alot more. Majority of the tools I use are set there if not I can easily just put something in the custom shelf.

# 5 12-12-2003 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
hotkeys mostly, no hotbox. but ya didn't have that one. So I used the 2nd one anyway.

# 6 12-12-2003 , 11:59 PM
Always use the shelf, some shortcuts, menus when needed.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 13-12-2003 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber
I use the hotbox alot and ocassonally the shelf. but that is what I got used to after Maya 4.5 fundementals:p

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 8 13-12-2003 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
I use mostly the hotbox and some custom marking menus I've set up. Some shelf stuff too, but not very often.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 9 13-12-2003 , 04:26 PM
All hotbox and custom marking menus. The only menus I use are from individual panel sets.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 10 13-12-2003 , 09:41 PM
Shelves, marking menus, and hotkeys for me. I like things in consistent places, so the Hotbox doesn't really work that well for me. Shelves work great for me, because I customize them like crazy. I some shelves that stay the same. I have others that I customize and change on the fly as I work. And of course, nothing is faster than hotkeys. A lot of the default hotkeys don't exist anymore. I've pretty much remapped most of the keyboard to my own keys. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 11 14-12-2003 , 03:00 AM
I should amend...I do have a few shelves setup but they're more for specialized tasks like creating paintfx hair....or using CPS. I rarely use them but I can definitely see their usefulness. Most of the time I have everything in the UI gone except for the views and their panel menus. I toggle the attribute editor and the channel box on/off as need be with hotkeys as well as the outliner and several other windows I use frquently.

I think the hotbox is pretty consistent for me because I use the default that shows all the menus. Then I just have specialized marking menus setup for various modeling types and editing so I don't have to hunt for them in the hotbox. As I go along, I find more things that I tend to use alot and just add them to the appropriate marking menu.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 12 06-01-2004 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
i use my, MIND...... and give commands to maya. no hands needed. that's because i have the "limitless unlimited" version, that costs a whopping 45k USD

# 13 06-01-2004 , 07:47 PM
I use whatever is the easiest for a particular task. In general I try to avoid the menus as much as I can so that means I use a lot of shortcuts. My left hand is constantly on the keyboard while with the right hand I use the stylus pen (for all mouse work). I should get into that custom marking menu biz too since it certainly would speed up many tasks. Bottom line is that I try to do everything with minimal effort user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 14 06-01-2004 , 08:11 PM
shelf with all my short cuts=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 15 06-01-2004 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
don't rightly know what hotbox's are, but I use shelves, the menus, and shortcuts equally. I do not use custom marking menus at all.