Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-11-2003 , 06:32 AM

Well, I'm a long time member kind of. I have had every version of maya, every version of 3d Max, and almost every version of lightwave. I have always been able to find tutorials for free. All of a sudden I come back to the site that, up to now, has never failed me. I havent been here in a while but I just tried to get that nice polygon face tutorial and I was told I dont have enough points. Why did they add points. I know that the site has to make money some how, but why take the money from its loyal subjects? Come on now. I dont have that kind of money to throw around. You would think I did seeing I own all this software, but its my job. All I ask is that the site please reconsider the points feature. Thanks for your time.

# 2 16-11-2003 , 06:40 AM
The Maya Mountain
First of all: https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&threadid=8392

2nd, SM has always had pay-to-view content. Before the point system, it was a monthly subscription system.

Free training can be found here: https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?cat_id=23

How to get points, here: https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&threadid=8808

As for why take the money from the members.... who else are we going to get it from? And we're not just TAKING it... it's paying for a service and the means to provide that service.

As for the amount of money it costs, if you have a job in the 3D industry, as you claim, it shouldn't be that troubling. Afterall, you can write it off as a job-related expense. If your 3D job doesn't pay you enough to recieve training in the 3D field, I'd have to say they don't pay you enough. Just my thoughts on the subject. Don't have to agree.

# 3 16-11-2003 , 06:45 AM

Sorry If You Took That Wrong.

Im sorry I didnt mean to sound angry and I did know about the monthy subscribtion. And Unfortunatly I dont get paid enough and I cannot write off my job expenses. I would have quit along time ago but I love my job. Anyway thats besides the point. I work for a very small business and I feel what I am paid can pay my bills. Anyway thanks for your suggestions. And you're right, it is pretty sad that I work in the 3D industry and cannot even afford to pay for training.

I work too much.

# 4 16-11-2003 , 06:51 AM
The Maya Mountain
You might suggest to your employer that you're interested in bettering yourself through additional training. No matter how small the company, they should be all for the improvement of their employees and may provide the expenses to do so.

# 5 16-11-2003 , 06:53 AM

Sadly...

I have, he cannot supply anymore money to my department. Maya, 3D Max, and Lightwave arent cheap unfortunately. So we, so to speak, have completely used up our funds.

I work too much.

# 6 16-11-2003 , 06:55 AM

And...

Our web sever also just crashed so all of our money is going into completly redoing and repairing that. So, for now at least, I wont have anymoney to spend on tutorials.

I work too much.

# 7 16-11-2003 , 06:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
well, we've all gotta do what we gotta do to go on. Count yourself fortunate to be one of the few to be employed and given the opportunity to play with such great software. user added image

# 8 16-11-2003 , 06:56 AM

Agreed

Thanks for your time and help.
Now if only I could spell.
Hopefully our problems will sort them selves out.

I work too much.

# 9 16-11-2003 , 03:22 PM
SM Tea Boy
If your company can afford lightwave, Maya and max it can certainly afford 14 pound for you to learn how to use them.

I already give away 5 hours of video free if you don't like the points system, please don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Closed.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"

# 10 22-11-2003 , 12:50 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by David
please don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Closed.

LOL now that is funny user added image