Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-06-2007 , 06:33 PM

Channel Box Issues with CVs + Error?

Hi all,

first off, when I use the channel box, I select say a vertex, and have to click on "CVs Click to Show" to display it's details. Then, If I click on another CV, I again have to click on "CVs Click to Show". This is annoying when I'm selecting them one after another to manipulate. Can I change Maya to default to showing the details?

Second, when I do see any CVs details, it always initially shows "0,0,0" as the co-ordinates. If I move it, then hit "Undo", it moves back to the original position but now displays a different (and correct, I think) co-ordinate in place of one of the "0"s. Is this an error, or am I misunderstanding how the channel box functions in Maya?

Any help would really be appreciated here, it's two very small things but ones that would help me work a lot better.

Cheers,

g.

# 2 05-06-2007 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber
The sort of same information is available in the status window bottom left corner, but shows how far off the origin axis you've pulled. The show CVs displays the amount moved away from the vertex original position.

Now it's up to you of course but I don't see the need for this information at all. If you need accuracy for technical modeling it's much faster and more accurate to snap to the grid, or existing verts already in place. Set up the grid to a scale that matches your needs.
This way you don't have to move the verts and try to roughly match the previous values. Far too slow and tedious not to mention slippery trying to get the exact value.

Another handy for micro movement is alt+arrowkeys to move a vertex or a group of vertecis in small increments.

PS: I'm no guru and far from technical. if exact values is what you need I hope someone who also uses that kind of workflow can better help you with this.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 05-06-2007 at 10:37 PM.
# 3 05-06-2007 , 10:59 PM
Thanks for the response,

it's true that the information is also in the bottom left, but that strip is also taken up by help information etc - I just thought that it would have been possible to have this info in the channel box, at all times, without having to click on "CVs ..show".

Also, I agree that much of the time you'll want to snap to other items - but often it is good to be able to know exact space locations.

Anyone, can the channel box be set to display this without clicking?

cheers,

g.