Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-12-2007 , 07:24 PM

Binding help

Hello Im fairly new to maya been using it for about 2months, my problem is binding. Iv made a simple cartoon style guy and a great rig I made a smooth bind but I cant get my head around paint weights. I have tried a combination of the paint weights and component editor but I'd really like to perfect this skill, does anyone know of any really good tutorials that may help me. I know the principle behind it but get confused between where I should paint for each joint and how they (the weighted joints) can counter act each other.

cheers
steve

# 2 04-12-2007 , 03:06 AM
Yeah, painting weights is a headache! It takes a lot of practice. As you know when you add or replace weights on a joint, the adjacent joint receives or gets that weight info. This gets a bit tedious. One helpful tip is to "toggle hold weight on selected" on the joints to keep the weight info. Nothing will be added or taken away.

Also remember to prune small weights under Bind>edit smooth skin>prune small weights, set prune below at 0.0500 (this influences the small amount of weight to be taken out, experiment with this). This way, small influenced weights on the joints will be taken out which make your job a bit easier.

Use the component editor for small details or miniscule deformations. I usually do this as the last step.

I'm sure you know about mirror weights. Which cuts your job in half.

Pretty much, there are no tricks for painting weights. It's just tedious work. As time goes by you just get faster. Keep at it. user added image

EA Games
# 3 04-12-2007 , 04:38 AM
Thanks for getting back to me, mirror weights I never knew about that tool, that info looks really useful. Im new to maya and modeling in general so this will come in handyl.

cheers
steve

# 4 04-12-2007 , 08:23 AM
Yeah! select the mesh and go to Skin>edit smooth skin>mirror skin weights. This way you only have to work on one half of the body and mirror it on the other side. Keep in mind that if you have asymmetrical geometry on the other side it wont transfer properly.

EA Games