Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-03-2009 , 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Film Noir

So! I stumbled across this here scene that I had abandoned, the model was done by Greg Sandor, its from one of Jeremy Birn's Lighting challenges over on CGTalk, you were supposed to create a Film Noir look, the challenge is over, the thread is closed but I got caught up in this for about an hour and figured why not post it (The glow and grain is overkill I know lol, it was fun messing around with it though).

Didn't change anything about the models, no textures, plopped down a couple of reflective and incandescent shaders, everything else is default lambert. No GI, no FG, just a bunch of spot lights and area lights.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 2 27-03-2009 , 07:47 AM
Subscriber
when i saw the thread title i thought you meant the anime noir...

i didn't know that noir is an actual technique, but now i know...
google directed me to wiki

film noir (plural film noirs or films noirs)
A film / movie characterized by low-key lighting, a bleak urban setting, and corrupt, cynical or desperate characters.

i think you captured it quite well

i do wonder about the lights inside the building though... it might be because i dont know of this style but it looks like there is a lot of light inside...

i dunno... my lighting knowledge is quite small user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 27-03-2009 , 03:41 PM
it looks good - but i think the sky is way too dark - it just isn't that dark at night.

# 4 29-03-2009 , 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks guys user added image
Arran, I'm still twiddling with it, I wanted that "middle of nowhere" look, I did try a slightly brighter horizon and even some stars but I didn't keep those.

I did tone down the glow a bit though.

Colored version
user added image

And another B&W
user added image

- Genny