Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 04-04-2011 , 08:55 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Oh and from now on will only be counting quads as I hate tri`s with a passion and I only work with quads. I know its a game challenge but I just don`t care. There are many polys I think I could tri up in places (Neck and ear defo) but going to keep mesh clean until I get to the end.

LOL what if I say no to quads?

Seriously quads are fine, I hate them too. As I said in the main challenge thread to you, it'll be easier anyway. I believe alot of games meshes start out as quads anyway the get triangulated later on, they did with 'gears of war' in the D'artiste character modeling book anyway!

cheers
Jay

# 17 04-04-2011 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
I can`t see how anyone does it any other way - I find tri model messy.

If you said tri`s only I would just convert them at the end - you know me pushing rules to near breaking but never going over the line.

Anyway here some better shots of the work done today.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Ada_1_2.jpg

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Ada_1_3.jpg

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Ada_1_4.jpg

Can I also say how bloody much Adobe CS5 sucks balls - Photoshop is almost unusable, Premiere no longer takes IFF`s and videos can`t be read by you tube no matter what you set the compression too (even none) and After effects cant render out to avi ???? - Going to see if I can find my CS3 collection as I cant work like this.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 04-04-2011 at 10:54 PM.
# 18 04-04-2011 , 10:55 PM
The thin red line
Tweeny this is how comany work know they let you test there new software pore to say the least..............dave

# 19 04-04-2011 , 11:01 PM
Subscriber

Tweeny this is how comany work know they let you test there new software pore to say the least..............dave

no matter how many times i read that, it still doesn't make sense...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 20 04-04-2011 , 11:05 PM
The thin red line
They let you the customer do all the work for them, sould be the other way round..............dave

# 21 04-04-2011 , 11:11 PM
Subscriber
love your progress. really user added image You took a Huuuge step to win this contest.
As i noticed you re always accurate.
Try not to subdivide before print screen. If you subdivide, its not 6000poly i think.
I think in this contest the button 3 has nothing to do user added image just like the fur on my wolf.. user added image user added image

# 22 04-04-2011 , 11:51 PM
Subscriber
The thing is once it goes though Z-Brush it will be that smooth and with so few polys the 3 button does not do a lot at all. And its down to only 4000 polys now I tweaked the arms and hands a little.

Also press 1 or 3 does not change the poly count.

Arrr feet/shoes - I hate them - calling it a night for now - want to get them done but giving me headache.

Daveray why do you have a bronze medal in your sig when you won a Gold

Last edited by tweetytunes; 04-04-2011 at 11:59 PM.
# 23 05-04-2011 , 12:04 AM
Administrator
Sorry tweety, I edited your post. The reason is SimplyMaya runs an open policy (always has and always will, forums are about sharing info) so feel free to post external links here, this however only extends to other sites that run the same open policy as we do.

Nice progress on the character so far and good luck on the interview (wear a suit, men look great in suits) user added image

Nilla

# 24 05-04-2011 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
Yer no problem - Will not happen again - the website was better than the video anyway

# 25 05-04-2011 , 09:13 AM
The Nurb Herd

The thing is once it goes though Z-Brush it will be that smooth and with so few polys the 3 button does not do a lot at all. And its down to only 4000 polys now I tweaked the arms and hands a little.

Also press 1 or 3 does not change the poly count.

well if you push 3 and look at the vertex faces you will see that it does change the poly count. (well, not really, but you would have to smooth it that much to have it look the same.)

even if you go through zbrush, the silhouette will look the same. so i agree with joey, i wouldn't bother with the smooth preview button. It gives a false impression of your topology anyway.

# 26 05-04-2011 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
Urm Im sorry but the vertex faces don`t go up - not sure if you changed a setting or something, but mine never have. And as you can see it only smooths out the mess - not a drastic change to the model.

Attached Thumbnails

# 27 05-04-2011 , 11:24 AM
The Nurb Herd
cool, whatever. they change for me at work.

I think the thighs look a little bulkier, but yeah not much difference so why do it?

# 28 05-04-2011 , 11:29 AM
Subscriber
Okey user added image I made a quick review. If you press num 3 you get to lvl 3
I needed to smooth 2 times the cube at the bottom to get the same result.
The render time will go up a lot more for sure with lvl3.

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 05-04-2011 , 11:53 AM
Subscriber
Anyway in Zbrush you can go down one lvl. If you ve 4000 polys, it goes to 16000 if i remember well. You make some nice textures & it ll be perfect

# 30 05-04-2011 , 12:20 PM
Lifetime Member
sorry mate thought I was subscribed....but I wasnt....looking good dude....good to see you back in form mate!! little black dresses eh?? you and Jay got something in common or something to share with us...LOL...seriously..good luck mate..nice looking sheila too!!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes