Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-10-2005 , 09:08 PM

Boolean is really a bastard

I used boolean operation to create a hole in a polygon, i then try to attach an edge to the hole using split polygon tool but i get this error message saying "Cannot start up on a hole" on maya 7.0.

On the image below the red edge is where i want to add another edge, the blue edge is suppose to be the new edge.

If you have any tips or tricks i can use i will be very glad. It really frustrating me.

Attached Thumbnails

give to life want you want from it.
# 2 10-10-2005 , 07:07 PM
Yeah, start the edge not on the hole but on the other side :p!

# 3 10-10-2005 , 08:50 PM
have tried that several times, it's not working

give to life want you want from it.
# 4 11-10-2005 , 06:00 PM
You're going to have to at least partially remake the thing. Probably. Unless you managed to avoid all non-storing actions (read - vertex editing), you won't be able to go back and tell the program to add more divisions for faces for the previous results.
This is one area I've run a number of experiments in.

See, the problem you have is that the polygon face that has the subtraction is a contiguous object. If you cut it across the middle of the face, where will the actual geometry that defines the new edge go - will it cover over the hole? If it let you get away with that, I'm pretty sure you'd get non-manifold geometry. So the program protects the user from the problem. In a case like this, unless you can undo the actions to a point befor you booleaned the cubes, you'll need to remake the object from the beginning.

Or wait maybe not. I just thought of this, and I have no idea if it will work. If you still have the object's history, go to the mesh in the outliner that was chronologically there before you used the boolean opertation. click to select it. Now try your cut. I have no idea what will happen, but it's worth a try.

If it doesn't work you'll have to remake it. Yes, bad news. The good news is, as long as you have just one cut somewhere through where the hole will be, you should be fine (If I'm remebering correctly). The program will then allow you to make further cuts. Although personally I'd reccommend starting the cuts about where you were going to put them anyway.

# 5 02-11-2005 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber

just a guess

What if you tried converting to subds or something and then converting back, or another way to "reset" your models geometry? That might do the trick.

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 6 02-11-2005 , 07:42 PM
I don't know what that would do, but something tells me it would adverse effects on the model. Especially since, when you turn something into a subD surface, it usually get smoothed.

# 7 02-11-2005 , 07:57 PM
Booleans in maya can be problemtatic so I tend to shy away from them. I usually just use poly split to create the shapes I need then extrude/delete faces....you have more control that way.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 03-11-2005 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber
converting to subds does smooth the object, but if you have your settings right on both conversions, you should be able to convert back without any changes in poly form.

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 9 06-11-2005 , 01:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Christ!! First look at the amount of history build up in the channel box get rid of that lot first then attempt to re split the edges. Failing this, make sure all geometry has merged verts. If you are trying to split this using MJpoly tools it wont have it as theres a five sided+ poly in the hole and around it, it really need edges putting around the other holes too, looks like 8 to 10 sided polys!! Not very good

Also what has been suggested by Nitroliq is the easiest way to avoid any probs. You keep the shape and the geometry tidy every time if you think about it.

Jay

# 10 06-11-2005 , 02:30 PM
If you want to go the boolean route, delete your history like Jay suggested. If you're trying to boolean each shape one at a time, do it this way instead.....create your shapes and do a combine on them. Then use the result of that for your boolean operation. Otherwise...just polysplit the shapes and delete the faces you don't need. Simple.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 11 30-11-2005 , 06:12 PM
Subscriber
My experience whit booleans is that it's best done whit history tured off, or deleted right after the operations.
Seems like in my case, booleans and history don't mix.

Instead of using spli poly tool, you can use the "cut faces" tool.

-DX-
# 12 30-11-2005 , 06:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
But with cut faces tool you can end up cutting more than you need if you are not careful

Jay

# 13 30-11-2005 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
Absoluteley true, but I think it would work on the case the OP is having trouble whit.
If it cuts too much, you can just go and delete the unwanted edges and vertices. Laborous, but it works user added image

-DX-