Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-03-2006 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber

Rail Charges Launcher (Star Wars Weapon)

Well, although I can't reveal quite a few of my models because of my work on a Star Wars mod for Battlefield 2 (https://firststrike.totalbf2.com/), this is one of the weapons we have revealed in an update so far (although slightly tweaked since then), so I thought I'd share it with you guys. I hope you likey, and that you check out and even join our forums.

user added image

# 2 15-03-2006 , 05:31 PM
nice start mate, but it is looking a little boxey at the moment and I think that the handle is a little small compared to the size of the gun.

# 3 15-03-2006 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
Well, working off of concept art and the image of the original weapon (from one of the Jedi Knight games), these are actually the proportions of the weapon. Where would you say is the boxy area?

Thanks for your comments user added image

# 4 15-03-2006 , 05:44 PM
yeah, I was wondering if you were working from references. I just thought that the area below the sight was looking a bit plain, but I imagine you have a strict poly limit and if you feel that it matches the concept art, then ignore my comments.

user added image

Last edited by arran; 15-03-2006 at 07:44 PM.
# 5 15-03-2006 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
yeah, I was wondering if you were working from references. I just thought that the area below the sight was looking a bit plain, but I imagine you have a strict poly limit and if you feel that it matches the concept art, than ignore my comments.

user added image

Well, we do have poly limits, and that factors in, but to be honest, I actually had a different design idea in for the scope (because there was no scope on the original model of the weapon, no doubt due to poly limits that were found 4-5 years ago), and I wasn't really fond of this design, but my team members decided that they liked it this way, so who am I to argue lol. Besides that area though, what do you think of the rest of the gun? I could show you a wireframe of the weapon, as this is really where I learned from another team member to keep really clean geometry and ensure that everything attaches.

# 6 15-03-2006 , 07:51 PM
I think that the rest of the gun is working well - once you have some textures applied I think that it will help give the gun character. Posting a wireframe will definitely help others evaluate your project, though to be honest, I am pretty new to maya, so I don't know how much help I can offer other than making aesthetic judgements. For me, at the moment, everyting is just looking a little square and the edges are looking pretty sharp. Maybe some judicious use of the bevel tool might help take the edge off a little, but if you are working with specs and want to make your model accurate, than they should be the over riding factor.