View Poll Results: Do you vote for black robe, or witchy
Black robe 7 41.18%
Witchy 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-05-2003 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber

Tournament #2 - Black Robe VS Witchy - RND 1

Alright, this tournament round goes on for 5 days. It will then go on for one day after that, when it will be voted for. If you vote for one, please vote for the rest of them as well. Also, if the next day there are not at least 3 votes on one side, the mods will judge the winner. Have a great time and this round is on:

Underwater Creature user added image.

Textures are a must.. but can be as little as lamberts and blinns user added image. The two battlers for this thread are:

Black Robe
and
Witchy

Have a great battle!

DO NOT VOTE UNTIL BOTH FINAL RENDERS ARE IN

user added image

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com

Last edited by M; 22-05-2003 at 01:15 AM.
# 2 22-05-2003 , 01:29 AM
Subscriber
Best of luck Blackrobe! Allow me to start us off- I am really looking forward to seeing your cartoon crab!

I decided to go with a cartoon fish based (but with a few added features) on this picture I found on the net;

Attached Images

Last edited by Witchy; 22-05-2003 at 01:38 AM.
# 3 22-05-2003 , 01:31 AM
Subscriber
People who have seen my workflow in the past know I start in funny places (normally boots but the fish doesn't have any which is rather inconvenient) so I decided to try out a nurbs eye tutorial I found on the net for my fish's cartoon eyes.

Last edited by Witchy; 24-05-2003 at 08:33 PM.
# 4 22-05-2003 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
Working on the basis of a tutorial I have followed in the past (it was for an elephant, I made a camel to accessorise a game map, have a horse WIP, and now a fish, handy technique!) I laid out the basic shape and have started pulling verts. Once I have the basic shape I shall start more splitting to improve the shape and add details.

The smaller picture at the bottom is a quick smooth of my basic mesh with a little texture I knocked up in PS, definitely not final (took a few minutes and is dreadful) but I wanted to see how it looked striped as I rather like those clown fish thingies.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 22-05-2003 , 04:08 AM
Subscriber
Hey its coming along good man! One thing i would suggest though is either go with that same approach, which is kinda hard to get smooth.. or start from a sphere.. because its a fish if you flattened it a lot.. then added a lattice to it and started scaling to your image you could probably get a lot more of a smooth effect pretty quick.. then to add on the tail and the fins, hair thingy... you can do that after by extruding from your general shape.. or continue with the lattice user added image... anyways, it looks quite good in that picture, but its your decision if you want to try to get a more smooth effect. Ok, just my 2 cents.. cya

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 6 22-05-2003 , 02:04 PM

YAY!

Glad to see its started now user added image Ive done a bit but Im just in after my exam, was easy user added image Well here is an unsmoothe render of my progress.Sorry for the watermarks user added image Damn PLE!user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Black_Robe

''Where do we go now?Where do we go now?...''
# 7 22-05-2003 , 02:05 PM
HEre is a smoothed version with one leg done and the claw/arm almost finished...

Attached Thumbnails

Black_Robe

# 8 22-05-2003 , 02:33 PM
Oh no!M, is it essential that we post concepts because my scanner has broken, my bro dropped a book on the screen and split it user added imageuser added imageuser added image Its gonna cost loads to repair or get a new one :'( ARGH! Sorry

Black_Robe

# 9 22-05-2003 , 02:49 PM
Done some work on the shell and leg.Still need to finish off the claw/arm and the rest of the legs. Loadsa stuff to do actually....Heres a new unsmoothed one.

Attached Thumbnails

Black_Robe

# 10 22-05-2003 , 02:51 PM
and smoothed, sorry if Im posting too many pics, sorry to the 56k'ers! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Black_Robe

# 11 22-05-2003 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
Looking good! Perhaps his body might be a bit thin? Claw is nice!

Thanks for the suggestion M;I think I shall stick with the fish this way for now, I did think of a sphere and might fall back on that if this does not work out.

# 12 22-05-2003 , 03:39 PM
Ye I actually thought that, I need to thicken it up a bit.Maybe make it a little higher and chunkier...thanks for the suggestion.I'll get the other side done and then start on the details.

Black_Robe

# 13 22-05-2003 , 04:07 PM
New render with both sides done user added image I'll just post the smoothed version.Hows yours coming along Witchy?

Attached Thumbnails

Black_Robe

# 14 22-05-2003 , 04:21 PM
Witchy, when smoothing uncheck Keep Edges.
Might give your fish better looks.

Good luck to both participants.

# 15 22-05-2003 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
Good tip thanks adl!

Didn't know that one. That and a better overall shape should help with the old smoothing. Cheers.

Have not done a thing to it today as just got in from work, but you have scared me again Blackrobe so I shall fire up the old Maya and go to shortly!

Yours is looking really nice, good shape in the legs.