Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 22-09-2005 , 05:25 PM

Smoothing issues

Does anyone know if it is possible to seperate smoothed faces on a polygonal object, like the option available in 3ds max`s editable poly (smoothing groups). I know about average normals in Maya, and this is fine to some extent, but I want to be able to distinguish between different artifacts on one model, such as shirt cuffs and trousers etc. I may not be utilising the average normals option properly, so if anyone can point me on that, I`d appreciate it.
Up till now I have been cutting a new edge loop close to the edge I need to remain "hard" prior to smoothing, but this seems to be a long way round. :headbang:

All info welcomed

MJ

Somedays you are the pigeon, and others, the statue
# 2 22-09-2005 , 05:52 PM
The easiest way to smooth is to click on the edge which borders to two faces you wish to smooth together (assuming they're combined AND merge-vertex'd) and type in the little textbox in the lower left-hand corner of the screen:

polySoftEdge -a 180

to UNsmooth the edge:
polySoftEdge -a 0

And yes, you need it capitalized exactly like that.
Also -- applied in object mode will do it to the entire object -- and there are some other stipulations with face mode I believe. If it errors (which it commonly does) change your way of doing it. Maya's picky like that.

# 3 22-09-2005 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber
or just go into your edit polygon menu -> normals -> soften harden and use that instead of typing

# 4 30-09-2005 , 02:01 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I will try this when I get home user added image

Somedays you are the pigeon, and others, the statue
# 5 30-09-2005 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
Or you could switch to Sub-D's and use creases, but I think that basically does the same as adding edges close together...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"