Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 04-12-2007 , 09:07 AM

Difficulties batch rendering

Hi all,

I'm having some horrendous difficulties batch rendering in Maya 7.0. I'm trying to render an image sequence to convert into a movie, but I keep getting a single image, incompletely rendered. Even just starting a new project and trying to move a simple NURB sphere a short distance, I can only get Maya to output a single frame. That's just using the default settings, outputting to .tif. I'm not trying anything super fancy.

Thank you in advance for any help, I'm really at the end of my rope here.

# 2 04-12-2007 , 03:03 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I also had this trouble at first.
I did manage to find the animation by browsing to where maya renders the files on your hard drive, then i clicked on the first frame from the batch render and it opened as an animation.
It worked for me but i dont know why, it might work for you but dont hold me to it

# 3 04-12-2007 , 04:20 PM
Subscriber
What is the actual problem?

Do you know how to render out a movie and the file/s are being corrupted, or is it the actual setting up for rendering a sequence that you are having problems with?

If we can get some more details we can help you with your problem.

Chris

# 4 05-12-2007 , 04:43 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I know how to set up rendering the movie, but Maya isn't exporting properly. I double-checked my process with a few tutorials, including one on this site, and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong in the render settings. I can detail my render settings if you want, though I'm pretty sure that's not where I'm running into trouble.

The problem is that when Maya should be giving me 120 rendered frames from the batch rendering, I instead get only a single frame. Sometimes that frame isn't even rendered properly (it'll render only from the arms of the character down). If I render only a single frame it renders properly, though. I'm trying to figure out why it won't render all 120 frames so I can then just dump those into AfterEffects to make a video file.

Trying to render to .avi in Maya also ends in failure; I just get an *.avi.ng file that I can't use. I'd rather just make the video file myself, anyways.

Thanks again for the help!

# 5 11-12-2007 , 03:55 AM
Try rendering using targa files. After that open fcheck in the Maya folder and import sequence and then save as a .mov or a .avi. The good thing about this is that if Maya gets mad at you and shuts down you can start rendering on the frame where it last left off.

Bill Harris
# 6 11-12-2007 , 06:53 AM
I also came across that problem. By default settings, do you mean that you have it save as name.ext? (Under Frame/Animation Ext). If not, try switching it to name.#.ext, the start and finish frames should be open for editing, and from there you can edit which frames you want to render.

"All the world's a stage, and all the Men and Women merely players: they have their exits, and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts."
-William Shakespeare
# 7 11-12-2007 , 06:59 AM
valthejean is right make sure you set save name # .ext

Bill Harris