Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 211 26-07-2008 , 03:14 PM
# 212 26-07-2008 , 04:24 PM
after playing loads of super smash bros. brawl lately i see marley on the stand and instantly think of of him as a trophy...

did you ever think about playing with the hue of the lighting to get a different mood?

Accept no substitutions.
# 213 26-07-2008 , 04:33 PM
haven't played super smash brawl - is it any good? user added image

yeah - i was thinking about adding a street lamp. at the moment the light is slightly blue on the key and green on the fill.

# 214 27-07-2008 , 03:00 PM
here are a few more renders that i did today after tweaking the lighting a bit.

Attached Thumbnails
# 215 28-07-2008 , 04:53 AM
very nice work arran

# 216 28-07-2008 , 05:40 AM
# 217 28-07-2008 , 08:39 AM
Subscriber
amazing textures Arran.

I have a question though. How did you export displacements without crashing? I can't do hi rez displacements. user added image

I also have this problem where I UV mapped everything, but when I added details in Zbrush, I brought it back into maya and my UVs were gone!!! It turned into a hundred blocks of 2x2 matrixs.

And.....some parts of my model in zbrush were non uniformal and causes pinches. You ever had that problem?

# 218 28-07-2008 , 10:58 AM
Subscriber
user added image

geat job on the skin. looks really cool.

nice pose.

# 219 28-07-2008 , 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Are you going to have him like do "stuff"?:x

- Genny
# 220 28-07-2008 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
lol.

still looking great XD

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 221 28-07-2008 , 04:44 PM
thanks a lot everyone - really appreciate the good words. user added image

anslaught - i'm afraid aside from this project and the boxing gloves i did, i haven't had too much experience with zbrush, so not sure how much help i can be. Did you make sure you exported a low poly version of your model back into maya before applying the displacements?

as for your uvs being turned into blocks, that sounds like you've had zbrush re-uv map your model. you should be able to remap it in maya and then export it back into zbrush.

as for pinching in your model, i kind of had similar problem when i first started, so i just went back to my base model in maya and tried to improve the geometry. it may be that you just need to clean up your model as well. sorry i can't be more help. post up a question and i'm sure some proper z masters will be able to help. user added image

vladimirjp - thanks mate - really appreciate it. what have you been up to? would love to see your latest kick ass model. user added image

GecT - if you mean animating, then no - i always planned this to be a still pose. aside from maybe playing with lighting and rendering (after i've taken a break!) i think i'm done with this. user added image

starjsjswars - cheers mate - always good to get your approval. user added image

thanks again everyone. user added image

# 222 28-07-2008 , 10:33 PM
smash bros brawl is pretty cool, unlocking the characters is the most fun (and is done the easiest by just playing through the single player 'adventure' mode, "subspace emissary") but obviously the more people ya got hangin' around the more fun you can have with just a straight-up brawl.

anyway back to the model. this lighting setup definitely looks better and not as bland, but the fill is a little dim, you want to be able to see finer details but not flood the non-keyed area with light, ya know?

also i guess i imagined his character as appearing at night, so for me, i would try a more yellow key (emulating the illumination from a window of a house) with a deeper blue fill (to emulate the light of the moon). but again, just cause it's dark out doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to make stuff out.

Accept no substitutions.
# 223 29-07-2008 , 02:52 AM
hey neostrider - thanks for the info - i really appreciate it. user added image

yeah - i wanted it be fairly dark, but still see some of the details. i was having a hard time not losing the darkness of the shadows and not throwing too much light in the form shadows. lighting is still a weak point for me.

i'll definitely give your advice a try. cheers mate!

smash bros. sounds cool. user added image

# 224 17-01-2009 , 06:23 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Looks great man

Nice texturing.

It would be nice if those chains are a bit rusty

Keep it upuser added image