Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 25-02-2008 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber
you can continue sculpting after posing in maya.

but keep the morph target, otherwise you will get small problems of incorrect normal maps on the geometry.

# 32 25-02-2008 , 03:33 PM
You can sculpt them in the default pose and export your normal map. Then rig and pose the figure and hands and re-import the base level hands and it should retain all the higher level detail. As long as you don't do anything in maya to change the point order so be careful with your import settings in maya, make sure you turn off 'create multiple objects' tickbox in the OBJ import dialogue.

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 33 25-02-2008 , 03:53 PM
thanks for the info aikoworld and gio - i'll take a look at morph targets - time to start experimenting!
user added image user added image

# 34 26-02-2008 , 02:36 AM
Subscriber
little explanation so you get it 100%

So when you have your first fase sculpted in zbrush.

You do the standard export obj and displacements.

Set it all up in Maya, then as you want to pose it, create you rig etc...

Now because you will resculpt or add detail, there will be small changes on the lowest level of subdivision so to prevent that.

Before you continue sculpting you switch on morph target.
What this dose in Zbrush is keep the vertexes in the lowest subdivision at the same place. It will not move. But you can still sculpt in higher levels without having a problem of re exporting the displacement.

As if you dont do this you will get incorrect displacement calculation as the lowest base mesh has been changed.

If you want to know more about zbrush.

Buy Digital Tutors dvd`s, very good.

at https://www.3dtrainer.com/zbrush/ it was for free, but it seems to have changed. but there not so great.

DT is the best, or gnomon.

# 35 26-02-2008 , 04:00 AM
hey aikoworld - thank you very much for taking the time to explain that - that makes a lot of sense and i think I have a better idea of the workflow now. thanks for the excellent info.
user added image

I'll definitely take a look at those videos. I also have a gnomon one that I'm slowly working through as well. Just trying to get my office scene finished up and then I can focus on zbrush. user added image

# 36 03-03-2008 , 09:30 AM
hey - so i need this character to have chains wrapped around him. i've been experimenting with a chain using a spline ik and clusters, but it's proving difficult to adjust exactly as I want it. so i'm wondering is there a better way i can wrap chains around him? He doesn't need to be animated - the final image will be a still shot. i'm going to try playing with animation snapshot next, but is there a better way?

any ideas? user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 03-03-2008 at 06:36 PM.
# 37 03-03-2008 , 06:10 PM
I always envisioned Marley a bit more gaunt. Perhaps cheeks sunken in and a bit thinner - seeing how he is dead and all. But then, to each his own.

# 38 03-03-2008 , 06:34 PM
Yeah it's a good job

I love the 3D
# 39 03-03-2008 , 06:38 PM
ha - how did you know he was marley? user added image i suppose it's kind of obvious when you add some chains. yeah, i might make him a bit more gaunt - i kind of like him as he is though.

thanks dutch and ysN

# 40 03-03-2008 , 10:31 PM
i think the chains hang fairly well as they are.

Accept no substitutions.
# 41 03-03-2008 , 11:44 PM

Originally posted by arran
ha - how did you know he was marley? user added image i suppose it's kind of obvious when you add some chains. yeah, i might make him a bit more gaunt - i kind of like him as he is though.

I actually guessed as much when I saw that you were creating several safe/lockboxes for him. The handkerchief around the jaw confirmed my suspicions and then the chains around the body were merely icing on the cake.

As for the actual figure, it's in the eye of the beholder. No doubt, my preconceived notions about what he should look like are based upon one of the movie renditions. Regardless, the character is looking good and the chains fit well.

# 42 04-03-2008 , 01:07 AM
Who is Marley?

# 43 04-03-2008 , 02:59 AM

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 44 04-03-2008 , 05:16 AM
yep - that's him. i thought he'd be cool to model cos he has a ton of stuff hanging off of him and i figured it might be fun to go a bit over the top with it.

finally started to use zbrush - and it is awesome - so much fun! have had a quick jab at sketching in some of his clothes - nothing too fancy. of course i have another question....

so i did some work on just one of his hands and was planning to use resym to add the details to the other side. i tried it on the lowest level, but zbrush is saying there are '0 symmetry points found and the symmetry map was not stored'... i think it's because i accidently moved the hand while modeling.

not the end of the world - it's just my first fart around, but I would like to know how to sort this out . I tried exporting a low poly version to maya - deleting the crap hand, duplicating the good one and and reimporting to zbrush, but i lost all the details. any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 04-03-2008 , 05:44 AM
I googled to that page too but I didn't see any chains so I didn't thought it was him...

Looking good Arran.

About the hand, you wasn't expecting to get details if you import a low poly obj...?