Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 76 25-03-2008 , 02:47 PM
thanks younglion user added image

# 77 25-03-2008 , 02:49 PM
by the way if anyone has seen a screen like this before and can advice what to do or has advice concerning quadro vs geforce, i'd really appreciate it. user added image

# 78 25-03-2008 , 08:50 PM
Ouch!

Not seen anything like that before, if its a laptop, you might have problems actually swapping the card if its soldered in, I would take it somewhere mate.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 79 25-03-2008 , 10:15 PM
Don't recognize the look either...

Not much you can change yourself in a laptop. RAM is about it. Everything else is custom made to that model, so it's just to send it to the manufacturer.

# 80 26-03-2008 , 12:29 AM
I've had problems like that before arran.
Most likely the graphics card is on its way out or is overheating excessively. If you dont have warrantly still then you could open it up and see if the videocard fan is bunged up and can be cleaned.
There's no guarantee that its just bunged up though so if you still have warranty then get it swapped instead.

Hope that you can sort it
Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 81 26-03-2008 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber
Hi there,

When in Zbrush try to use Displacement exporter instead of zmapper.

Also Normal Maps are mostly for Game environments, for best results you should use displacements.

So is you still want to use Zmapper,

Then use the normal map configuration, maya7surfacesampler
Then from the texture channel, create a grey scale.
Export the greyscale version,

Open up PS, and because the grey`s in zbrush are set to 50%
You need to change the value in PS.
And that can be done with the CTRL L function.

here is more info https://206.145.80.237/zbrush/zbcfiles/ZMapper_Doc.zip

Also render with MR, and setup a Approximation node.

Window>Rendering Editor>Mental Ray>Approximation editor

Then create a polygon subdivition.

and apply the settings found here> https://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=43264

Hope it helps.

# 82 26-03-2008 , 06:35 AM
hey - thanks a lot guys - i appreciate your advice. user added image
i had a look at it, checked the fans which all seemed to be working and gave it a clean. no change - i'm pretty sure the graphics card is fried. to be honest this thing has been a pain ever since i got it and i'm loathed to send it back to the manufacturer for the third time in less than two years. i think rather than get the card replaced i'm going to put the money towards a new machine.

hey aikoworld - thanks for the advice mate. i'll take a look at what you suggested.

# 83 26-03-2008 , 09:54 AM
Ouch, thats a right pain mate. What card was in it and what was the PC? I remember you having a problem a bit back.. Not a good advert for the comp company.

# 84 26-03-2008 , 12:22 PM
yeah - i'd stay well clear of sager if i was you.

the card was a quadro fx 1400 and the laptop was a sager np9750 and it was a pain from day one. I called a couple of places today and they said that they couldn't install a video card and it would have to be sent back to the manufacturer. considering i spent $800 on it just over six months ago, i really don't want to reward them again and would rather just put the money towards a new laptop and hopefully some piece of mind. user added image

at the moment i'm looking at the compaq 8710w:

https://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...9-3544136.html

it looks pretty nice and seems to get good reviews. just not sure about vista and maya 7, though i guess i could always install xp if vista is not too hot.

# 85 26-03-2008 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber
that looks like a nice computer I would do the so called downgrade to xp though. personally I'd say putting xp instead of vista on it is an upgrade, but thats just me.

# 86 26-03-2008 , 07:52 PM
Looks good man, Have you had a look at Dell, thay do somre really powerfull laptops, touch wood, my dells fine even being luggedx to uni and back every day.

# 87 26-03-2008 , 08:06 PM
Buy a stationary computer, more bang for the buck user added image

# 88 26-03-2008 , 09:07 PM
Very true, but having a laptops so so much easier sitting on the couch in front of the TV doing your maya work!

Also if you need to have it in two places carting a desktops a pain!

# 89 26-03-2008 , 09:14 PM
If you're sitting in a couch in front of the TV when you use Maya you shouldn't be using Maya in the first place... ;p

# 90 26-03-2008 , 11:40 PM

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
If you're sitting in a couch in front of the TV when you use Maya you shouldn't be using Maya in the first place... ;p

oh dear - if i couldn't watch tv while using maya i might go crazy! user added image

yeah - i did consider a desktop - but to be honest i have so much time at work where i could be doing maya that it just makes sense to get a laptop.

yeah - i looked at dell and i think the compaq is pretty much the same as the dell m6300 - though i kind of prefer the look of the compaq, plus with dell you need to prove that you are a small business to buy that computer, which means filing with the tax office to get a tax number which is just an unnecessary headache. plus if you buy the compaq before the end of april they will double your memory from 2gb to 4. user added image

thanks guys - it's always good to know i can rely on your good advice. user added image

here's the last shot of the model before my graphics card crashed - luckily i was able to make a back up. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 03-04-2008 at 04:48 AM.