Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 14-07-2003 , 03:48 PM

Nurbs trimming and attaching issue

Hi user added image
Well first: Just signed in to the board, really interesting stuff going on. Amazing community!

And now for the question user added image
I'm working on a head model (non human) using NURBS. I used a sphere to start from. Now I came to a point where I want to connect the jaw to the rest of the head (Which are two different object) so it would connect in a smooth and nice way. My problem is that I can't figure out how to do it.

I tried trimming both the head and the jaw, which trimmed them nicely. But Maya won't let me connect them now, telling me it can't connect a trimmed surface. Deleting the history didn't work either..

What's the best way to connect these parts together, using NURBS? I want to preserve nurbs up until the end of the modeling so I will have an "easy to edit" mesh. If trimming is the answer, how can I now connect these objects? If not, then what is? I can't find anything user added image

Another question, though less important. If I want to connect two halfs of my NURB face, what's the best way of doing it? I tried creating a "blend fillet" between them and then attaching it to both halfs which didn't work very well.. I got some cuts here and there which isn't really good.

Thank you very much user added image.. This is something I've been banging my head on for days now :| .. And you are all my last hope... user added image

* An example of my model's wireframe:
https://www.groteskandmonstrous.com/s...ng_problem.jpg

# 2 14-07-2003 , 10:15 PM
Nobody knows? user added image

# 3 14-07-2003 , 11:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
when creating a complex nurbs object, you have to use patch modeling. Patch modeling involves aligning the edges of the seperate nurbs patches, so that visually, there are no seams. Only visually. It is IMPOSSIBLE to physically combine an entire nurbs head together (if you are going for realism, anyway) into one nurbs surface.

I would recomend creating the head with the mouth and jaw included, as is described in our Radial Head tutorial.