Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 24-05-2007 , 03:48 PM
hehe, finally jay! user added image

looks good so far, it'll be nice watching the story develop

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 17 24-05-2007 , 03:52 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Si

Yeah Finally!!LOL thanks mate

Later
Jay

# 18 24-05-2007 , 04:51 PM
yeah - well done jay! glad to see it started. user added image user added image user added image

# 19 24-05-2007 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
nice nice.

but to be honest, i was hoping, since this is the launch episode, for it to be a bit "more"; you know Jay.

if i was basing how good this project would be [if i didnt know how good of an artist you were] i probably would not be to keen on finding out more about the story.
there is a saying that, "you only get one chance to make a first impression, " so if i were judging solely on first impressions, i would not be too impressed. hehe.

i think you should have given more snipets of whats to come.
not saying giving too much, but have a good and solid first episode.

imho :blush:

but im confident. user added image

# 20 24-05-2007 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber
Nice work, user added image
In the next scene does Lassy come to the rescue?
I'm looking froward to seeing more.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 21 25-05-2007 , 12:12 AM
Cheers guys

Vlad, yeah I know what you are saying, but this first piece ends to question whats coming. Ive been thru varios draughts of this and decided I dont want total braun in my story, its about people. Its not the opening of Star Wars, I dont want that. remember its based on the spaghetti westerns of ye olden days and the pacing will increase, in fact it will increase dramatically within the next two to three pages. I have to introduce physcological themes as well, which I prefer, a bit of thinking to it not just bang bang you're f.u.b.a.r.'ed

I cant please everyone all the time, just some of the time

Some guy: Thanks

Later
Jay

# 22 25-05-2007 , 04:44 AM
Subscriber
i hope you have the old spaghetti western tune ...

ya know the one from the good , the bad , and the ugly ...

if anyone remembers that move lol

# 23 03-06-2007 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
I like it. Great colours and the rain is sweet.
Maybe because it's about the people. We shall see.
I want to be there physically and see it unfold. How's that for drawing the crowd in? hehe

One thought. On the first page there's a tractor and I had to look several times to understand the shape. Is it a cow stuck in a futuristic phonebooth or is it a vehicle? You know that first 0.5 seconds of doubt. (It's not an insult. I'm illustrating a point user added image )
You know these vehicles, characters and props since you modeled them and stared at them for hours, but the viewer is seeing them for the absolute first time. It's also sci-fi so it's extra important to make us viewers understand the objects quickly. Play with angles to really show of the objects and use them as compositional device as well.
Have your m8s quickly skim them over and make sure everything reads instantly is what I'm trying to say. The less they know about 3D the better :p

PS: Criticizing is easy and everyone's a critic. Just stick with your gut feeling "You can't please everyone" and you'll be more than ok.

I'll follow this with interest Jay. It's looking great really.
Now churn out some more pages. The audience is craving :p

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 03-06-2007 at 10:10 AM.
# 24 03-06-2007 , 04:59 PM
Alphaflyte

thanks dude.

Yeah the tractor thing...it took ages to figure out a decent angle, because I didnt want the focal length of the lens to be too big or too small, so I had to find a compromise. The initial storyboard shows it quite well, but once you translate things to 3d the angles and perspectives become harder to translate from a drawing. Im actually a 3dcomic artist(day job) so theres time when stuff can elude even me! LOL

As for getting others to check it over is difficult, because this is produced when most good people are in bed..as for my friends, they are all comic artists or 3d artists, so they see it as and when possible, but they are ruthless in their crit I tell you. Some people would just give up if they had such crit... and unfortunately its not something Im going to post on a forum, because by the time I wait for any opinions, its too late to really keep going back and forth to adjust stuff. Its only a WiP when models are being made...

I appreciate your complete honesty, and of course, I cant please everyone, thats understandable. And any comments I ALWAYS take on board, so again many thanks, and keep watching for the updates.

Next page should be up late tonight or tomorrow!!

Cheers
Jay

# 25 05-06-2007 , 05:46 PM
Outlaws_Tales page 4 is up.

In my opinion its okay, and good enough to read so I cant really complain. I re- shot a couple of bits very close to deadline as I just wasnt happy with bits, I see the mistakes, but I can live with it.

I'll just have to kick ass on the next page

Enjoy
Jay

# 26 05-06-2007 , 06:40 PM
Nice going Jay.

Hey dont we know that guy??

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 27 05-06-2007 , 06:54 PM
Yeah he used to visit Simply Maya LOL, his time has come!!

Cheers Steve

Jay

# 28 05-06-2007 , 06:58 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Jay
Do'h!!! What dont you get, its just started...? Its a weekly web comic, so you'll have to just follow it, did you use the navigation controls to read from the beginning?

Jay

I just have no idea whatÕs going on. I guess IÕll just have to come back every week and find out. Good job on the latest one (#4), it looks very good!
user added image

# 29 06-06-2007 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber
yea nice comic there man.
never thought of using maya stills for comic books.
real clever and neat.

user added image

# 30 06-06-2007 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
This is good. Any plans for 'Outlaws the Movie' when the comic is done or are u gonna work on something different?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge