Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 01-03-2008 , 04:08 AM
Subscriber
looking pretty good, I need to really get into this 3d stuff again, it's been so long... I haven't even started learning realflow or vue yet they're just sitting on my computer doing nothing.

keep up the good work

# 17 03-03-2008 , 02:20 AM
I've been playing around with texturing the scene. Apart from the dam, I don't think it matters that much, because I'm going to solve that in After Effects. But the dam and the opposite rock wall need to be textured correctly for the water to be rendered right with refractions.

I made a mistake not to assign a material to the dam before shattering it. Now the dam, the dam towers and the intakes all have the initial shading group assigned to it. Still need to solve that :headbang:

This is the result so far.

Attached Images
# 18 03-03-2008 , 08:49 PM
I solved the problem with the initial shading group. :attn:

Refined the texturing of the dam and added some lights to get the shadows right. Now I have to start focussing on getting the waterdynamics right.

Here's the texturing result:

Attached Images
# 19 03-03-2008 , 09:05 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
With every entry i see my expectations of my self drop 10 fold
nice work

# 20 03-03-2008 , 10:27 PM
Nice work Swil!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 21 05-03-2008 , 02:13 AM
I have a feeling this is going to be really good. Nice work.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 22 07-03-2008 , 05:24 PM
Thanks guys for the positive feedback - really appreciated user added image

I've been working on the water dynamics. It was quite a struggle to get the dam pieces to react to the particle stream. Eventually I scaled down the weight of the individual pieces by a factor 100 and now things finally start to move :attn:

As a matter of fact, they react too violently now. But at least I'm starting to understand the interaction between the various parameters.

Here's what I have now: Dam simulation

# 23 09-03-2008 , 03:45 PM
what makes the globs of liquid so big?

i don't mean to pick on your simulation cause i've noticed this about most of them that have trials so far... the large globs of liquid makes the dam look like it's small enough to fit in a snow globe... is it possible to scale that stuff down so it looks like millions of gallons of water, or does that really bog down the computer?

Accept no substitutions.
# 24 09-03-2008 , 10:54 PM
Its probably the scale factor of the liquid in RF, if you up the scale it cains the PC, and I really mean it hits it hard.

To be honest if you make it into a mesh at one frame and then take that into maya to have a look you might get away with it as when the particles are a mesh it might get rid of some of the blobs, also if you add some motion blur to it too that might get rid of some of it too.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 25 10-03-2008 , 03:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, no offense taken user added image

I totally agree with your observations. I'll do some different scaling trials to see what the result is going to be. And yes, so far it's totally brutalizing my PC, poor thing user added image

Anyway, stay tuned :bandit:

# 26 14-03-2008 , 12:30 AM
I scaled up the scene in Realflow to get the particles in better perspective and not make the dam look like a snow globe. Unfortunately it turns out to be too much for my PC (or Realflow ??). After 47 frames and 1.5 million particles generated the thing keeps crashing without giving a useable clue on what's wrong. :headbang:

To keep the whole thing renderable I need to go back to a smaller scale. I've also started exploring particles/nCloth in Maya to see if that can give a solution.

To wrap it up, I'm more or less back to square one when it comes to the water simulation. :eek3:

# 27 14-03-2008 , 12:37 AM
Its probably your PC, realflow batters your comp when running the sim.

Before dumping all your work, I would have a look at what youv got, maybe take it into maya and have a look at the RF mesh, it might be ok with a bit of texturing.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 28 14-03-2008 , 04:44 AM
You're probably right and I'm not going to give up (yet) user added image

I took the scene scale back down and increased the fluid resolution to see what that's going to do. At this scale, I should be able to get a nice flow going with 500 K particles.

Let's see what happens :p

# 29 16-03-2008 , 12:11 PM
OK guys, here's a new update.

I used scale 1 and particle resolution 5. I wrote a quick script to change the mass of the dam pieces and took them down to 10 % of the weight RF calculates based on the volume.
After 130 frames Realflow crashes, at that time running 3.6 million particles, but so far the result is not too bad, I think.

Take a look here: Dam break simulation version 6

Let me know what you think user added image

# 30 16-03-2008 , 06:23 PM
Well, like McDonald's says, "I'm Lovin It!" heheuser added image
Nice work bro!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com