Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-05-2008 , 04:30 AM

Weyu_FX02_WIP

This sound like a really fun challange so ofcourse I'm going to enter. user added image

My idea is to make a breakfast "machine" which will fry an egg and salt/pepper it.

I will start by making a quick version to get the physics and effects straight then I will do the real version with textures and sound etc.

Hopefully I will learn alot of physics and camera movement in this competition as this is unexploared territory for me.

Good luck to all contenders! user added image

# 2 08-05-2008 , 11:20 AM
Hey weyu!
Glad you could join!

I LOVE your idea, and I can't wait to see it!

I just wanted to let you know before you get too far, I forgot to mention that your final entry should not contain sound.

You can feel free to post a version with sound in your WIP, but your entry in the main "final entry" thread needs to have no sound.

The main reason is, as we all know, sound adds an element to cinematics that push it over the top, and so to remain fair to those with no scoring or foley abilities, we have decided that the final entries need to stand by themselves to allow for a larger group of competitorsuser added image

I know it's a bummer, but thems the rulesuser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 09-05-2008 , 01:09 AM
Aww to bad about the sound. user added image

Well I've been playing around with several things that I can include and this are my first results.

https://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...tphysics03.jpg

As you can see the the bounce is a tad to much at the moment but I wont care about it as I will redo all in the final version anyway. user added image

So far everything is dynamic, but there will probably be a few keyed fire effects later on.

# 4 09-05-2008 , 01:26 AM
OOOH, sweet man!

I think I picked a good idea for this challenge!

Can't wait for your progress over the next few monthsuser added image

PS, I LOOOVE fireuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 09-05-2008 , 09:39 PM
Acid44
looks cool manuser added image

# 6 14-05-2008 , 03:44 PM
Yeah I hope that I will finish this one as. user added image

Here is a look at the first part, I think that this one is around half of what im planning to do. I'm pretty pleased with the basics here but I think there will be alot of changes both with physics and layout. I will try to add some kitchen utilities to make it feel authentic. user added image

https://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...hysics02-3.jpg

# 7 14-05-2008 , 04:33 PM
Looking good so far!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 8 14-05-2008 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
hey man, thats looking pretty cool user added image

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 9 15-05-2008 , 12:09 PM
Thanks, hopefully I will get some time to work further with this during the weekend. user added image

# 10 19-05-2008 , 02:07 AM
Okey I got a rather anoying issue....

https://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...sics3inf02.jpg

Everything works perfect until it reaches the launcher, after that it got several ends and none of them are good. Everytime I run the animation through the maya preview window everything looks good but it looks different when I render it. And the Hardware renderer creates a other result then the Mental ray renderer. This animation is cut in half just becouse the hardware renderer is to slow.

I wont fix this issue as this is just a scetch but it is still really anoying that there are different result at render then supposed to be when looking through the animation.

# 11 19-05-2008 , 05:41 PM
Looks interesting, very Wallace and Grommit.

In reference to the different results - are you baking out the dynamics before you render? Don't know too much about them but I'm pretty sure that what you describe could be a result of not pre-baking.

cheers

gubar

# 12 21-05-2008 , 02:20 PM
Yeah that was the problem, I'm glad I found about this before rendering the final work. user added image Thanks alot Gubar.

Okey here is a first render of the begining of the scene,

# 13 21-05-2008 , 02:24 PM
Yeah that was the problem, I'm glad I found about this before rendering the final work. user added image Thanks alot Gubar.

Okey here is a first render of the begining of the scene, if I get the time I would want the dynamics to start with a finger hitting the "hammer" but I dont know if I got the time to make a character for this animation. user added image

https://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...uploadme-1.jpg

# 14 22-05-2008 , 06:23 AM
Looking pretty sweet!

Reminds me of Monsters Inc. user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 15 24-05-2008 , 11:11 PM
ha ha! nice job mate - that's working really well so far. user added image