Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-10-2003 , 09:56 AM

server help

Im thinking of having my own website on my own web server, just want to learn alot about having and running a web server, anyone got any tutorials or help for helping me set this up. i am running the server on windows 2000 server but need to know what software to use and how to set it up,

thanks

# 2 27-10-2003 , 10:24 AM
y bother? the hassle of having to set it all up and MAINTAIN it against hackers etc isnt worth it. let some big company do it for you. It's always gonna be easier. And if you dont know anything about running a web server you will be looking at a whole bunch of pain when it starts gong down for no reason.... user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 27-10-2003 , 11:06 AM
thats not the point, the reason i want to set it up myself is to learn, im not setting up some huge website like SM user added image its just gonna be a small website for me to learn how to set up and maintain a web server.

# 4 27-10-2003 , 01:57 PM
oh ok fair enough, but my point about whole lot of pain still stands! user added image. If you are using windows server 2000 then you will undoubtabely be using IIS (Internet Information Services) which is MS's own web server software. You need to install it from the win 2k disc (or your install disk) it's tehre under options somewhere.

With that done it will create a folder in c:\ called inetpub and in there is where all your web pages live. If you type in https://localhost assuming everything is setup correctly you should see the default windows web page setup there. If you change that page to be your own then you (and anyone accessing your machine over the net will see that page too). Now one word for you SECURITY! IIS is very leaky and prone to security compromises! you need to ensure you keep very up to date with this sort of thing (especially if you value the stuff on your computer). You can setup different shared folders on your computer to allow people access to them from the web etc. once again be careful what you share! Install a firewall, Install a firewall, Install a firewall, Install a firewall, Install a firewall! got it? user added image

There is a control panel for the iis services (if I remember correctly it's under "manage" if you right click "my computer". And there you can tweak a whole buch of stuff set up some security options etc etc.

Good luck and if you can I would set this up on a local network before going public with it just so you can get your feet wet. Remember that you will need a static IP address in order to use a domain name that will point to your computer.

hope this helps a bit

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB