Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 256 06-01-2010 , 12:41 AM
I'll just start some lessons in 2D so stay turn i'll post some stuffs from the learning process

# 257 06-01-2010 , 09:43 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cool

J

# 258 13-01-2010 , 02:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Very interesting thread!

I don't consider myself an artist by any stretch of the imagination. I can't draw very well either! I really truggle with a pencil or pen in my hand. I was raised to be practical, but alsways ended up playing as a kid with an over-active imagination! As I grew older, I lost some of that imaginative thinking process and well, I think that coupled with lack of art tuition etc resulted in a bit of an -un-artsy me!

I often look at art by others and find it fascinating the way people think! I would love to be able to pick up a pencil and just draw, but I do not have the skill or ability to put down on paper what's in my head. I can quite easily see images in my head, but I simply cannot translate it through my hands and onto paper.

I can, at a push, draw something if I look at it, but looking at Kurt and others draw is quite special.

I've recently attended a day long life drawing session, where we started with line and worked our way onto shading. It was a huge amount of fun and by the end of the day it felt like my brain was alien to me! The feeling of drawing for a while is quite uplifting and left me with a floating sensation. I went in not being able to draw and produced, by my standards, something not too bad for a fiirst go. Yes, there are some weird foreshortening bugger-ups, but with some time these could have been fixed...(Images attached, apologies for the artistic nudity, it was life drawing!!!)

I would encourage everyone to go for a least one life drawing session. It really is great!

Some people are lucky enough to be gifted with true artistic ability. Others try and learn the hard way.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Jacques

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 259 13-01-2010 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
those are actually very nice interpretations of the human form mate.

the sitting male, actually reminded me of william hurt in the face. well a mix of william hurt and val kilmer.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 260 13-01-2010 , 06:08 PM
EduSciVis-er
Great work on the drawings halfloaf! I've been recently getting back into drawing/sketching after losing confidence/motivation several years ago. I decided that this is a skill verging on necessary for me, and warrants the time spent to learn.

I haven't been to a life drawing session (yet) but looks really useful. One thing that has been working well for me in the past is to find an interesting photo (of an animal perhaps) on google images (licensed as reproduce with modification) and try to recreate the photo with pencil and paper. I've found it a rewarding exercise, and produces much better results than when I try to pull something out of my mind's eye. I realize I'm not making anything "new" but it's purely for the learning and the training of my hand, eyes and brain.

# 261 14-01-2010 , 01:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks G-Man and stwert. I'd strongly recommend at least one or two life drawing sessions. It's amazing what you think you see and what you actually draw!

Jacques

# 262 14-01-2010 , 03:30 PM
Damn man, I wonder when some artists say their drawings suck and post an awesome drawing underneath that message, it makes me wonder how sucky must I be if they suck.

# 263 14-01-2010 , 05:16 PM
EduSciVis-er
Don't think like that... I know I do the same thing, and it's not really a good thing to do. A lot of artists are a lot harder on themselves than on others. Also, they have an idea of what they were trying to achieve, and if it falls short, that's where the self-deprecation comes from, I think. It's hard to balance not being arrogant, and not being self-derisive to the point where it's discouraging to others.
Anyway, just my thoughts... hope it makes some sense.

# 264 14-01-2010 , 08:26 PM
Lifetime Member
You hit the nail on the head stwert!

Jacques

# 265 15-01-2010 , 01:37 AM
19 year Veteran
Fantastic work halfloaf! The female nude is very well done; however, the male nude needs a bit more work IMO. Keep up the great work! user added image

Here is a Artistic female nude I did, inspired from your work. The hands suck because I got lazy and didn't want to finish them.

The model was standing by a window with her hands on a wall, so there is supposed to be a shadow but alas, I got lazy.

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.
# 266 15-01-2010 , 03:40 PM
Thanks stwert you're rite. Also that's an awesome drawing THX.

# 267 16-01-2010 , 02:11 PM
19 year Veteran
cheers Aurorap, thanks for the kind words. user added image

# 268 16-01-2010 , 02:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Nice one thx, nice shading! When I did the life drawing session I'd often go really well with a drawing and then all of a sudden things would go wrong! Proportion would go or I simply could not translate the shape / outline onto paper. I often ended up with half drawn pictures. It's not always straight forward! There are good days and bad days!

Jacques

# 269 17-01-2010 , 02:00 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers halfloaf, thanks for the kind words! user added image

When I did the life drawing session I'd often go really well with a drawing and then all of a sudden things would go wrong! Proportion would go or I simply could not translate the shape / outline onto paper.

The human eyes' see in 3D, a perspective that can be difficult to translate to 2D because of the lighting conditions, and because we tend to move around a bit. That often changes the perspective of the model and makes it difficult to follow the geometry. Practice is the only way to get better. Keep it up and eventually you will master it.

# 270 02-05-2010 , 09:32 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
these were some of my first drawings...dont have a scanner so i cant post any of my new stuff...maybe one day

Attached Thumbnails