Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-08-2006 , 10:29 PM

Lighting

Hello everyone,

Been a browser for a while, so thanks in advance for all the help you have been giving me recently without knowing it user added image

Anyway, I have been concentrating on Modelling since I began using Maya (which was only quite recently).

Now I have created some models and scenes that I am happy with I am trying to learn how to light them effectively. The only problem is that when I try to put lights in they just black everything out. Except the Ambient which just seems to make everything very flat.

I need something that will act like sunlight coming from a direction (so the shadows lay in the same way) and another that will act as a candle light, but will illuminate the scene (rather than just the top of the candle as it seems to now). Does anyone know which lights would suit these 2 light sources and could suggest some settings for them?

Also, if anyone knows any simple to follow lighting tutorials that would suit a complete beginner feel free to point them out user added image

Many thanks again

Palleon

# 2 24-08-2006 , 12:28 AM

# 3 24-08-2006 , 02:11 AM
Subscriber
for the sun u have some options

use a directional for the sun as this will cast all the shadows parrallel

or u could use an array of spot lights however u may find that the shadows converge

wen doin daylight u need light from the sun
skylight - so shadows r not 100% black
bounce lights - lights placed inside buildings

u may not need all of these though

jemery birn digital light and rendering is the best book on lighting

u could use a ambient for the candle an light link it so u can use other light to better illuminate the scene

good luck

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 4 24-08-2006 , 03:00 AM
never use ambient lights... full stop

for sunlight a directional light is best but you may end up with very hard shadows(this maybe the effect you want). experiment.

For the candle you should probably be using a combination of spots and points. Start with one light see how it looks, add another see how it looks, add another etc etc, that's how it works. Remember that real life light bounces and CG light doesn't. You need to always be thinking about bounce light and how it can fill in the darker areas (you shouldn't really ever have something that is jet black). Keep trying and keep experimenting, do you inial lighting on a sphere rather than your model as the turnaround will be quicker and just as useful.

that's enough to get you started.

keep trying all the time!!

user added image
A

Ps. NO ambient lights!!! (for the exact reason you said, they make things flat, the reason being that they pass through every object and apply light evenly to the object hend why it's flat. Make sure you use your shadows effectively and make sure you turn shadow casting on!)

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB