Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-12-2002 , 04:38 PM
Kevin

Mental Ray for Maya 1.5 - OUT NOW

Just to let you know Alias have announced today that the final version of Mental Ray for Maya 1.5 software (Window, Irix and Linux) is now available for download to licensed Maya 4.5 customers. If you have public Beta you will need to uninstall as this license will expire, and download the commercial mental ray for Maya 1.5 plug-in.

Click Here For More Info

# 2 17-12-2002 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
YAY! I pray it has a render region feature with FG and GI!

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 3 17-12-2002 , 05:55 PM
SM Alumni
I hear ya undseth - I was gutted when I realised they still hadnt implemented it in 1.5. Fingers crossed for v 2.0 user added image

# 4 17-12-2002 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber
I can now confirm that the render region feature is now possible with this final version of 1.5 for maya.

If not for rendering pics by making a "patch work", then at least for getting a clue as to how parts of the scene will look in a final render.

user added image

# 5 17-12-2002 , 11:16 PM
SM Alumni
just to clarify were both talking about the same thing, are you reffering to XSI's render region (ie IPR) or just dragging a box round part of the screen and rendereing it out as norm?

# 6 17-12-2002 , 11:38 PM
Subscriber
InteractivePhotorealisticRender (IPR) is not the same as "render region" as far as I know. user added image

So we are thinking of two different things, as the newly released mental ray does not support the IPR feature.

"Render Region/Resolution Settings - mental ray renders now respect the Render Region or Test Resolution settings in Maya's Render View."

Quoting from mental ray manual, about things that was fixed.

# 7 18-12-2002 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
Just got this from the MentlRay 1.5 docs

Using mental ray® for Maya® version 1.5 User Notes
Unsupported features

mental ray for Maya does not support the following Maya rendering features:

all postprocessing effects: Paint Effects, shader/light glow, optical effects, 2d motion blur, and fur rendering.
software rendering of particle systems
direct rendering of Maya subdivision surfaces
Interactive Photorealistic Rendering (IPR)
Field Rendering
Pre/Post Render MEL scripts
Fluid Effects

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 8 18-12-2002 , 12:19 AM
Looks like an evil todo list for aw user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 9 18-12-2002 , 12:33 AM
Subscriber
A new thing; is that you can make your own special mental ray shaders. If you got the know-how.

# 10 18-12-2002 , 08:53 AM
SM Alumni

Originally posted by undseth
InteractivePhotorealisticRender (IPR) is not the same as "render region" as far as I know. user added image

So we are thinking of two different things, as the newly released mental ray does not support the IPR feature.

In XSI, its equivalent to IPR is called Render Region - thats why i was asking user added image

# 11 18-12-2002 , 11:09 AM
Render Region was possible in 1.5 Beta too... the shader construction is now by far better than in beta -)
What i really like is the impressive fast speed with displacement!!! Transluceny is now by far better implemented...
-klaus

Klaus Stangl
inferno*&Maya
www.worldofmaya.com
# 12 18-12-2002 , 12:22 PM
Subscriber
When the mac version will be released ??????????? I CAN T WAIT !!user added image user added image

Sorry but my english is very poor !
MaY ThE FoRcE Be WiTh YoU !
# 13 21-12-2002 , 10:07 PM
The Mac beta version is now up:

https://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/pro...entalray.shtml

I've already noticed there are a lot of things that are not accepted in Mental Ray. A had to change all my .ps textures to .jpg just so Mental Ray would render. All in all though, I can't wait to get further into Mental Ray. It's only a 13 MB download, so you should be able to use it soon enough.

Long live Maya on the MAC!