Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-09-2005 , 07:58 PM

UVs and the checkerboard

I've only messed around with texturing once or twice, so I don't know much about UVs. I've never used the checkboard but I understand it is to check for skewing or strethching.

Take a look at this video here: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xboxtv/def...&v=85547&bw=hi (open in IE).

A little before the middle of the video he applies the checkerboard to the model's face, but from multiple angles. I asssume they already had the UVs layed out correctly. So I'm trying to understand why and how he applied from multiple angles. Is this a different approach to the typical UV layout?

Why wouldn't you just lay the UVs out and then apply checkboard to the whole object. then check for skewing?

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."