Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 61 10-02-2007 , 07:27 AM
Senior Software Developer
Sorry mate, i am not wrong. I have been supporting MS products for over 11 years and have worked on 2 major project roleouts and set up over 4 branch offices for a major UK bank. So I know what I am talking about.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 62 10-02-2007 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber
Microsoft has never let me down.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 63 10-02-2007 , 10:58 AM
Subscriber
i love microsoft but it has let me down with all the viruses you can catch from just going to a site or opening a program ... dam people creating these trojans,

# 64 10-02-2007 , 11:15 AM
Subscriber
If that happens(which HARDY does for me) I just do a system restore and its gone.

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
# 65 10-02-2007 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
yeah... also a ghost, think i might do that tomorrow to save my important stuff.

about the mac, i know about 20 people which have got them and no one has complained about any viruses/trojans and even had to format yet.

# 66 10-02-2007 , 04:01 PM

Originally posted by mirek03
severinianthony., youll have to do beter than a few links here, too tired to look. I think this is all just some fun we are having, not serious. but looks like could be worth a look if one was looking to buy a computer and was deciding which to buy, mac or pC.., for a lot of us it is a mute question, but thanks.

True, that; those links are meant to be for comedy relief, mainly user added image

But a couple of them also prove a good point, as well user added image

# 67 10-02-2007 , 04:46 PM
As for servers crashing, well they do, A lot of schools are pushed on a budget and tend to upgrade the front end as its the thing that makes people want to use the pc's.

Just been having a look on the web about Mac OS on PC's, apparantly you "can" get a version of Mac OS running on pretty much any PC! Altohugh its not legal. In fact one wesite I just looked at had an article on a PC for sale (a Dell laptop) on e-bay that booted up using Mac OS (it also had windows on it too) and it sold for about £380.

so it looks like it might be an argument of what os is better!! LOL!

Mac for £400!

Think that ive kinda got my perspective on the apple Vs Microsoft, one gets ya on the hardware the other gets ya on the Software! End of the day they both get your money, one way or the other, and the job done.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 10-02-2007 at 04:58 PM.
# 68 10-02-2007 , 05:55 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by starjsjswars
If that happens(which HARDY does for me) I just do a system restore and its gone.

not on the old pc I used to have, but maybe thats just me. And besides, it is quite a hassle doing this. I don't want to backup my work every time before I access the internet just because I might have to do a restore or something.

# 69 10-02-2007 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber
You dont it does it on its own.

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
# 70 10-02-2007 , 07:13 PM
True but only at set points. unless you make one.

If you keep your virus software up to date and dont to to dogey sites then theres no probs, I know that the Mac guys will say, but youve got to have anti virus software in the first place, but as ive said they are not immune to them its just cos the people that make them havent target macs

# 71 10-02-2007 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
Lol i dont use virus software i just dont go to retarded sites.

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
# 72 11-02-2007 , 02:47 AM
R@nSiD > 'Sorry mate, i am not wrong. I have been supporting MS products for over 11 years and have worked on 2 major project roleouts and set up over 4 branch offices for a major UK bank. So I know what I am talking about.'

Well knowing Microsoft, they probaly have coding hidden somewhere that lets a computer thats using only Microsoft software be more stable. Anyways, like I said, a box with only Microsoft software is pretty useless unless you want to amazing things like type a Word document (the funny thing is that I write in that program).

starjsjswars > 'Microsoft has never let me down.'

I guess that we all have different expectations. I hate Microsoft for changing the file dates once when something inside Word went crazy (due to the crashing and the freezing I never found out what, just all my .doc files were modified) and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a virus as I didn't have the net back then and I don't used burned software.

starjsjswars > 'If that happens(which HARDY does for me) I just do a system restore and its gone.'

I don't trust System Restore. Its reliability and integrity is very questionable. So is the Mac's time machine thing. If its supposed to save your data, why use such a unserious trivial interface? I guess its because sticking to the Mac philosphy, recovering your vital data shouldn't be daunting, which in my opinion doesn't make sence becuase since when was a computer a man eating monster? (doh, I'm droning...)

gster123 > 'As for servers crashing, well they do, A lot of schools are pushed on a budget and tend to upgrade the front end as its the thing that makes people want to use the pc's.'

Well servers arn't supposed to crash for obvious reasons. I know schools don't get that much funding, but ours when it comes to computers just keeps on wasting money with major school wide updates that fail in spectacular ways (the old Dells they replaced with homebuilt Athlon 64s proved to be better than the AMDs by 1.5 times).

gster123 > 'Just been having a look on the web about Mac OS on PC's, apparantly you "can" get a version of Mac OS running on pretty much any PC! Altohugh its not legal.'

And people wonder where do you get virus, trojans and spyware...

gster123 > 'If you keep your virus software up to date and dont to to dogey sites then theres no probs, I know that the Mac guys will say, but youve got to have anti virus software in the first place, but as ive said they are not immune to them its just cos the people that make them havent target macs'

Whats wrong with installing Virus scanners and firewalls? Its like having an airbag and seatbelt in your car... its insurance when something bad happens. And I agree that if you don't go to dodgy sites, you'll be fine...

Speaking of Macs and no ones targeting them, its true, its not becuase Macs have awesome security and stuff, its becuase not enough of them do anything interesting enough to warrant the writing of destructive code (many servers use Windows). And I assume that many of those hardcore Mac fans, having never met a virus before, won't even notice that their HD has been wiped before its too late user added image

# 73 11-02-2007 , 03:35 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by The Architect
And I assume that many of those hardcore Mac fans, having never met a virus before, won't even notice that their HD has been wiped before its too late user added image

probably true what you are saying. Despite, I do have a virus scanner even though in three years it hasn't found a single virus on my system.

EDIT
god, I just downloaded windows media player9 for mac from the microsoft homepage, aaaaaaaand it turned out to be something completely different in the end. Instead of media player I got "ms office test run." Despite the file being labled as windowsMediaPlayer9.
I think that says a lot about MS frame of mind...

Last edited by farbtopf; 11-02-2007 at 03:51 AM.
# 74 12-02-2007 , 07:49 AM
farbtopf > 'god, I just downloaded windows media player9 for mac from the microsoft homepage, aaaaaaaand it turned out to be something completely different in the end. Instead of media player I got "ms office test run." Despite the file being labled as windowsMediaPlayer9. I think that says a lot about MS frame of mind...'

Yep, Microsoft is pretty wacko user added image

And Media Player is pretty bad. Back in the olden days when all I knew about a computer was how to use it, I had all my MP3s' metadata replaced with endless piles to crap that Media Player got off the net. Apparently, Media Player downloads info from all different kinds of websites to 'fill' in 'missing' data in your MP3s, completely screwing them up (I use file dates for archiving, MS destroyed all that in one internet session).

Whoever designed that feature should be taken off his fancy pay and be given a boring job somewhere far far away from civilisation. The number one essential rule of software design is never under any circustances, I don't care wether its doomsday or snowing outside, should any program modify the user's files without their explicit permission (and always include a confirm box).

Man, this is thread has turned from 'PC vs Mac' to 'Microsoft Horror Stories' :eeek2:

# 75 12-02-2007 , 08:49 AM
I think I tunes is worse, it automatically changes the format of all your MP3s into AAC so you can only use them on a I pod or I tunes (or it used to) then keeps asking to download updates.

When I got my new PC I downloaded quicktime wihch I tunes comes with and only installed quicktime and disregrded I tunes, it still asks me to get updates for it even thouhg it isnt installed!

Then again Media player always wants updated too and appears to go wacco if you dont get the updates!

Think there both the same in my opinion!