Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 26-05-2010 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber

mudbox issue and question

I have started using mudbox, I watched DT tutorial on sculpting I was able to go in a scult pretty quick using mudbox unlike zbrush, problem is I brought in a low poly mesh of 1800 faces , I UV mapped it beforehand I imported it into mudbox sculpted detail and painted , but when I extracted the normal map and color and brought it back into maya the mesh looked weird. It was not like it looked in mudbox. The face had puffy areas, there was stretching of color in some areas,etc..

I thought all you had to do was UV the model and all the detail would show up exactlty how you sculpted it on your model. Also I was having a problem with the subdivisionlevels. I could go up to six before I ran out of memory.

My question is how low should your mesh be when you bring it into mudbox so you are able to add a lot of detail before running out of memory, or should you import and UV at a high res first. Also it you add any detail that was not on your low poly mesh in maya like say eyebrows will it cause stretching when you import the normal map back into maya.

# 2 27-05-2010 , 06:53 AM
The thin red line
Hi banksta
I dont use mudbox but zbrush but I think some of the problems will be the same, when you created UVs did you check them (did you put a checker board pattern on the UVs to see if there was any stretching). If like zbrush you should start of with a low poly mesh with may be some extra mesh where you are going to have high detail (skin porse). Post a shot if you have checked UVs..............dave