Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 76 02-12-2010 , 07:07 PM
Looking much better Dave. The logo in the attached PSD project file was just for bump. It's pure white with a Gaussian blur over a 50% grey background. I don't think I had anything in the color map.

I have both the bump and color in a single PSD file. The way that file is intended to be used is you turn off the bump layer and turn on the color layers and generate a color map (i.e. save as .png, bmp, jpg, etc.) and then you turn off the color layers and turn on the bump layers and make a bump map image. Then plug the two image files into the color and bump channels.

So the one PSD file generates TWO image maps. I color/diffuse map image and a separate bump map image.

Hope that helps.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 77 02-12-2010 , 07:10 PM
Administrator
That's a huge improvement, really well done daverave. Rust would be difficult, I think your color blend is nice now it looks so much more realistic. The thing with texture painting is to get as much color variation in the maps as possible, I like how you can zoom in at pixel level in CS5, if you do it on a photo of skin you'll see that you have all colors under the sky in there.

For the shadows now you'll need more shadow rays to get the blur soft, it will increase your render times like mad when you take this up. This is also why spot lights are so commonly used, they have excellent depth map shadows but it doesn't work with final gather and dome lighting. I also think that a three point lighting scheme with depth map shadows will make that texture look better and should be good enough. It's something that's a lot faster to test render as well and so much more flexible.

# 78 03-12-2010 , 01:20 PM
The thin red line
Thanks ctbram Miss-Nova
ctbram the ps file you sent said I needed the font thats why I use the bump to create the colour, looking at the rust and reflections of the can, I think Im there........dave

Attached Images