Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-02-2003 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber

First body - male i think

ello all,

seeing all these cool characters in this months comp lead me to try a character/human form type model.

Haven't got a clue what to do really, just followed an example from a character animation book - which brought me to the following position. I am now totally stuck as to how to progress - all I know is that it ain't very refined. I know sweet fa about the human form - so any ideas on how to progress - even some background reading/studying on the human body would help.

Hope this isn't asking too much.

cheers muchly

rich

# 2 12-02-2003 , 11:35 PM
You're off to a good start. I would recommend checking out www.fineart.sk for some good human anatomy reference.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 14-02-2003 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
ello,

well thanks dannygan, I checked out the site you advised and have started again. This time using a reference picture from that site.

This is what I have some up with so far.

I have modelled it with the arms down, but I see most models with their hands straight out to the side. Is there a right way and a wrong way?? Does it effect it when it comes to adding a skeleton??

I cannot draw to save my life so I will have to try and find references on the net - not the easiest I can assure ya!!!

cheers

rich

# 4 15-02-2003 , 02:17 AM
Good start, again! user added image The proportions on your new model are much better. Keep it up.

In general, modeling a character with arms out makes binding the mesh to a skeleton easier. It's not absolutely required though.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job