Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-04-2003 , 07:07 PM

Maya directory help -->

Hope someone can work this out.

I save all my Maya work in the following path: C:\Documents and Settings\chris\My Documents\maya. There I have the folders 4.0, projects, scripts, and the files mayaRenderLog.txt and mayaLog.

For some reason Maya has automatically created the path: C:\Documents and Settings\chris\maya. It has all the same folders as the above, but I don’t save the projects here, but Maya saves all shelves in this part [4.0\prefs\shelves].

I moved all the shelves to the 4.0\prefs\shelves section that I save my project in, reloaded them and deleted Maya directory C:\Documents and Settings\chris\maya., but when I load up Maya again, it reappears, with the shelves now in both directories.

So what I want is save all Maya projects, shelves and MEL’s in C:\Documents and Settings\chris\My Documents\maya. I want that to be the main directory and not like it was before: projects in C:\Documents and Settings\chris\My Documents\maya. and shelves and MEL’s in C:\Documents and Settings\chris\maya.. I need to permanently delete that directory…I don’t need it.

I know this may sound confusing so just ask if you want me to explain something better

Help is very appreciated user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 2 12-04-2003 , 08:23 PM
Subscriber
im not sure how you can fix it, but did you change OS or sumthing for that to happen?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 12-04-2003 , 09:32 PM
No. It been like that since i first installed Maya [i'm on XP Home]. I dont know if that directory is suppost to be there.

Nem [any anyother PC users], a few questions:

1. Are your maya project in your My Documents folder under the folder maya.

2. Are all your shelves and MEL's also in that folder.

3. Can you check the to see if you have a folder named maya in the following path: C:\Documents and Settings\your_user-name

Thanks user added image

# 4 12-04-2003 , 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if you can delete the directory. Maya allows you to have multiple versions installed on the same machine (3.0, 4.0, 4.5, etc.), and it stores shelves and preferences specific to each version in their own directories.

You might consider looking up information in the help files on environmental variables to see if you can change default locations of these directories.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 12-04-2003 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
1. if ur running xp then that is the directory everythings stored in, so yes
2. yep shelves are there maya\4.0\prefs\shelves
3. yes that folder is there, but not under that name (because i dont use XP) but it shud be there, thats the default maya fodler that the program creates when u install it

- Simon

# 6 12-04-2003 , 10:58 PM
Yeah, thats weird cos my project are saved in the My Documents folder and all shelves and MELs and in the [what you called] the 'defult maya folder'.

I just re-installed maya to see what happened and it's still the same. I guess it dosen't matter that much, it's dosent really harm maya i think. The reason why i asked was because i was wondering if that has anything to do with why i can load the GI_Joe MEL

Thanks for your help user added image

Last edited by doodle; 12-04-2003 at 11:38 PM.
# 7 13-04-2003 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
yes it would affect ur installation of MEL scripts actually cos the scripts wud go in a different folder user added image

- Simon

# 8 13-04-2003 , 01:58 AM
Accually it wont cos i just perfectly installed two MELs [CPS and creatTube]

Here the link i was posting info about my GI_Joe problem. It has a step-by-step on how i installed it.....take alook at see if i'm doing somthing wrong.......user added image

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...6&pagenumber=2