Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-10-2007 , 08:18 PM

My demoreel 2007 march

hello guys, been so long. This is my 2nd time posting a thread. I really want to interact with animation communities that could help me professionally like this one but i was always kinda busy and my internet in my home wasnt realy that fast so i just gave up the idea. Now i have graduated and i hvae enough money to pay for the internet that is kinda fast, not a dial up :p This is my reel that i completed last march. I did this for 3 weeks. I modeled and animated the first minute in 3 weeks i mean and the other half are compilation of my other works and projects at school and competition i entered during my 4 years of studying 3d in college. I just would like to share it to you guys.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hDzkKu69FsA

# 2 02-11-2007 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber

I did this for 3 weeks

I don't want to seem like an asshole, so please take this with a grain of salt from one aspiring 3d artist to another.
It visually looks like it took only 3 weeks. From what I've heard in talking with people in the industry a demo reel needs to be polished to the max. So they say simplicity is the key.

While I love your idea, and the flow I think that it is being put off by the visual appeal.

As far as specifics which I think may be useful and or helpful.
The particle details are a little strange looking. Their interactions with the scene look akward.

The roof in the opening scene looks great along with the moon.

Your first character looks very good overall. The face doesn't look like it suits the environment or the body.

Both characters movement is very well done, however the arm and hand motions seem a little lack-lustre in comparison.

The sketches and their display is awesome as well. I think if you created one character as detailed and polished as the drawings you would be well on your way to getting into the field.

Overall I'd say you've got a great base to work off of but that you tried to do too much in too little time.

Keep up the good work!

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 03-11-2007 , 02:10 PM

Great start!

You're off to a great start. You need to work and clean up your animation. The movements on the characters are to rigid and robotic. Try to offset you movements from left to right. Don't match them on both sides. Your graph editor should be your best friend!

I highly recommend that you get yourself a DV cam and record yourself doing all your animations so you can get a sense of the movement and also use it a reference. Especially for martial art movements.

Remember! Animation is Concentration!

EA Games
# 4 26-11-2007 , 07:41 PM
i think it sucks

# 5 26-11-2007 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Altadena
i think it sucks

while you may think it sucks, your comment is completely useless. You may have valid opinions to back your statement but please comment and criticize what you do not like about it, or what you think needs improvement.
Simply saying you like something, or dislike something is as good as no response at all.
Think about why you feel so about a work and then offer some possible remedies or suggestions.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 6 28-11-2007 , 05:03 PM
Subscriber
There is a LOT of potential here, but it does look rushed! I can offer some advice based on my own experience. I am a veteran 2D animator who has been working diligently with Maya for over five years and I too have had my head constructively chewed off!

I concur with Alexander H. Excellence isn't produced in three weeks! Instead of trying to recreate a game environment, concentrate on individual skills. Decide if you want to be a modeler or an animator and structure your reel to fit that. Do two separate reels (one for modeling and one for animation) if you're not sure, but when you DO decide, concentrate on that particular skill!

The first thing I noticed is "floatiness" (I made the SAME mistake, and it is a very common mistake when learning Maya). The motions are floaty and don't suggest weight very well. Your timing for some of the actions is also a bit off. Go back to the graph editor and adjust the curves. That alone should improve things drastically!

You obviously have drawing skills, so that's not a problem, but if you've never done traditional animation, it wouldn't hurt to learn! I recommend "The Animator's Survival Kit".

If you have done animation before, do realize that it's so easy to get caught up in the technical side of Maya that one may forget how to animate! I know I did the first time around!

Finally, TAKE YOUR TIME! :-)

Keep at it!

"Ad astra per aspera..."