Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-09-2008 , 12:27 AM

Can I really make it?

Hi,

Firstly I would just like to thank eveyone with there help so far.user added image

Secondly??

If you have read my previous thread some of you will know I am just starting out. I just want to know? could you become a 3D artist/animator at a acceptable level, just by self teaching,long hours and following tips and tricks and tutorials. Or would i need the guidance of a tutor or would I need to attend a class.

Lastly,

I have just ordered a Quadro 1700 nvidea card for my P.C. will that do the trick in regards to making my workflow run a lot smoother??

Jason

# 2 06-09-2008 , 04:18 AM
Super Moderator
I would say yeah you can become much more than "acceptable" on your own, its been done before (even when tutorials weren't so available) so I can't see why not you too. I'm not going to lie to you, it won't be easy, you have to really commit to it and suck it up even if it means doing things you find boring.

College isn't for everyone even though some people might make you feel its what you "should" do, I'm not discouraging you from doing that either because there you will have a curriculum, deadlines and knowing you'll totally waste a lot of money if you screw it up, keeps some people on track. Though I know a few people who have degrees and student loan debts + cost of living, who are forced into being cashiers, salespersons etc and they're pissed because the commercials shove these courses in your face like they're in such demand, they graduate and it turns out the jobs aren't really there. So there are a few things you have to research and consider.

- Genny
# 3 06-09-2008 , 05:42 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah of course you can do it, even though there are universities that hold courses for these type of things doesnt guarantee you a place in the industry after.

It will be long hours and there will be times of absolute frustration as you hone your skills as you strive to become a better artist. Also focus in areas where you think you can excel, not do stuff for the sake of it being 'cool'. I mainly concentrate around the modelling, texturing and rendering side of things. Though I would like to do animation and even get into mel scripting, but its a whole different ball game both of which I just dont have the time.

Ive been working in the digital realm since '94 and 3d since '98. I started in Max then Lightwave then went onto Maya in 2000. The job I had at the time forced us to learn Maya whilst producing the goods, 15hrs a day at work, not ideal but it sure did sink in!!

Its mainly about attitude and how much you 'want it' at the end of the day. This will evidently show in the work you produce.

good luck!! There are help manuals in maya to guide you but if you dont know what to look for you wont find it thats for sure especially in the early stages, so remember to ask, no matter how crappy or petty the questions may seem.

Jay

# 4 06-09-2008 , 08:40 AM
Thanks guys,

Jay are you still working in the industry??

Another one!!

I am 30 years old and discovered 3D art through watching the special features on dvd's (creating characters) and always quizzing wether or not the software was readily available to the public, which i managed to get hold of through a friend at university.

My other love is computer games. I know its a little late in life but I am due to start a degree in computer science in game design. What i wanted to know also is anyone else done anything like this and if so,how should I prep for this.

I am eager to learn maya to the fullist and I spend roughly 10 hours a week at the moment, would it be easier to break into the industry with programming and been able to use maya on a technical level ??

I am currently going through The site listed below for help as well as tackling the human form on this site. Would you recommend this or rate it?

https://www2.swinburne.edu.au/design/...-tutorials.php

I am not that computer iliterate,but know my way around but I am very optimistic and commited.

What would be my next step be ??

Perseverance

Jason.... Thanks aGAIN YOU GUYS

# 5 06-09-2008 , 09:00 AM
Silverspawn

Indeed, Im a freelance contracter at the moment so I go where the work takes me. Im currently working on a couple of documentaries in London, and on one am the CG modeller.

I'd rather full time though...its alot of hassle trying to find work to pay the bills.

Jay

# 6 06-09-2008 , 09:21 AM
Thats how we old-timers learned back thenuser added image
By teaching ourselves.

I'm 36, and I started back in 94 as well.

I would just literally mess around until something broke, or didn't work the way I wanted, then I would read the help to learn how to fix it and not make the same mistake again

Then in 1999 we were able to take Siggraph Maya Master Classes (no longer Power Animator as of 98'), we would read the Physical manuals, buy books (rare then), magazines, and if we were lucky, vhs tapes from Alias|Wavefront themselves lol.

If you were REALLY lucky, and the post house you worked for could afford it, your local VAR (hardware/software dealer) would setup training sessions.

Then around 1999-2000 the internet as we know it began to mature to the point of being able to download (but not stream!) small videos from folks who would charge as little as $50 u.s. per month for it, such as Alex from Gnomon.
(This was before Gnomon Online, etc.)

At the time, other than Alex at Gnomon and a few other freelancers or VAR's, there weren't any "schools" you could go to for an education specifically to learn Maya.
It was simply far too expensive then.

Now, with the advent of educational price points for software, non-accredited schools can just worry about simple hardware cost.

The rest is historyuser added image

By the way, I'm glad to hear that you are VERY determined!

Mainly because, in the very very beginning, young folks usually don't even have the patience to simply hit F1 and read the help and/or learn as much as you can on your own until your head hurts, and you gain 30-60lbs from doing nothing but sitting at your machine day and night for years on end learning and learning...

....because you WANT to, not because you HAVE to...

It may sound insanely harsh, and in some respects it is, but keep in mind, there WILL ALWAYS be someone willing to do your work for HALF the price.
...and sadly most studios LOVE cheap work, especially from India and China.
Artists in the US and UK simply cannot compete with people that do work for next to nothing.

So keep up the enthusiasm, and energy! user added image
Good luck!

PSS: Don't take me too serious, otherwise I'll beat you with my cane you whippersnappers! hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 06-09-2008 , 10:15 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I've not been doing this as long as Jay, and ragecgi - (These guys really know what they're talking about.)

But I have been doing it for just over 2 years now. Since I was 17. And if your willing to put in the time and effort, then you can 'make it'. Just expect to have to put more work in that your going to get out at the start. It's can very frustrating (as said) But eventually you will start to see your work improve.

If you ever get stuck on something, just ask here. Someone will have had the same problem at some point, and most likely has a remedy. That's what these community's are for.

Good luck!

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 8 06-09-2008 , 11:24 AM
Thanks Guys, Drinks on meuser added image

Right here is another one from pandora's box?

If i wanted to try my hand at modelling a car from an image plain or Character( If thats in the right context), taking into account if I have the reference pics or photo's front/side etc were would i start?

I have seen and started the human form tut, but feeling qiute apprehensive about doing something like that on my own.

I would not mind modelling a ferrari F40 also I have a Pics of the hulk which i would not mind modeeling up.

Were would I begin with these??

Jason

# 9 06-09-2008 , 12:38 PM
For characters a cube, and always start with the head as you can determine scale for the rest of the character.

A Cube can also be used for a car, but I would say nurbs for cars because of the smoothness which can then be converted to poly after roughing out and then you can go from there to adding detail.

Either way both are a challenge in their own right

Jay

# 10 06-09-2008 , 01:16 PM
Thanks,

One thing that puzzles me??.... Is were do,after setting the foundation of your model adapt the detail how do you know what tool to use or how would I know what tool to use???

When I say details I witnessed a car wheel with tread brake discs and calipers??? I know it may not sound much to you guys, but it looked awesome to me the newbie???

Jason

p.s.
Here is one for you when did you guys Finish your 1st model on your own and what was it???

# 11 06-09-2008 , 01:29 PM
"It will be long hours and there will be times of absolute frustration as you hone your skills as you strive to become a better artist. Also focus in areas where you think you can excel,"
I totally agree user added image
I'm 16 I started when I was 15 I've learned at home and follow tutorials on stuff I don't know/want to improve on.
Frustration just happens it's part of the learning process.
Just yesterday I was all on Camera Tracking but eventually I concluded I need more experience with Maya and other more simple programs. I'd love to use this as a career but for now I'm learning at home(hobby) and next year taking the bulk of the boring community college courses,then go onto a university for whatever career I'm interested in that I can make money on..
Anyways if you want to learn and not spend lots of money learning at home can be great but it will take time user added image

For my first models(can't remember the first one) I did a fire extinguisher,Patrick star and easy things but now I laugh at my old work because I wasted lots of my time on crappy models. Even after a year of learning I'm still a noob compared to other people on this forum :bow:

Last edited by jm82792; 06-09-2008 at 01:36 PM.
# 12 06-09-2008 , 02:09 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
For character modeling I agree with jay. Start from a cube, and slowly refine the mesh from there.

But for car modeling, I find the edge extrusion method to work better for me. But that's just me. There are a million and one ways to model any particular model. It's finding the best, and most efficient method for you that's the trick. I would try following a tutorial for your first car, adapt to that artist's methods, mimic them, and then follow other tutorials, and do the same. Eventually you will know most of the tools you need, and so, you can begin to hone your own methods.... before long you will be able to throw a model together without the assistance of tutorials. But never abandon tutorials even when you think your good enough at a certain thing (modeling for instance) even the pros watch tutorials. Mostly for method purposes. To see how other good artists achieve their results. And maybe incorporate new methods into your own work flow.

Personally I would start with the car model, as they generally are easier to accomplish (to a degree) than organic/character models. With cars the topology is relatively straight forward. It should consist of Horizontal, and vertical edge loops.(mostly)
where as when organic modeling the topology will become allot more complicated, as you try to replicate the many forms of the an organic shape, such as a human.
There will be direction changes in the edge flow, and you will have to put allot of foresight into your model. predicting good edge flow for animation/deformation purposes. And topology is something you will have to learn too, or at least learn to predict it, manipulate it, and use it to your advantage.

My first model was a spider. I made it in Blender. I then Downloaded the Maya 7 PLE and followed a tutorial to model a Locomotive. I then modeled a Dragon by myself. I was pretty impressed with the results at the time. user added image

Anyway, good luck, and most importantly... Have fun!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 06-09-2008 at 02:12 PM.
# 13 06-09-2008 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
with art.., if you want to live and eat.., comes money.., so do a business course part time or just keep your eyes open on that level.., you are looking at yars before you can make money.., maybe in a couple of months you can do small stuff for friends, 9be careful or some will suck you dry and take all the credit).., but at some time.., you will have to make money. so watch the mags for tips on showreels, how to do CVs, ect.., you know.., ask around, your mom, dad, or anyone in buisness or is working.

as much as i love the guys, rage and jay got into this bizz early.., now its dog eat dog and who you know..,

head down if you want to eat.., art for arts sake only rubs until you have a family.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 14 06-09-2008 , 09:17 PM
I believe Jay hit the nail on the head when he said focus your skill. My passion is modeling...can't get enough of it...addicted to it you could say. I really don't care to learn anything else so ALL my focus has been on modeling which has really paid off.

But, now I have to learn texturing (just learn, not master). I will also learn rigging. But my primary focus will always be modeling.

Unless you are HUGELY gifted, that's what you need to do. Find out what you like and excell at the most, then make that your primary focus. If you try and master everything, you will only end up mastering nothing. Keep in mind that I'm speaking from my heart, what I believe...and not from experience.

Also, because I'm passionate about 3d modeling...It's effortless to stay motivated. So find out what area of 3d you enjoy the most, and then perfect it.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!