Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-10-2008 , 11:48 AM
Subscriber

portfolio help for landing a job

What type of pieces should you have in your portfolio to land a job.I know some of you work in the industry and I am trying to get in. One problem I am having is I think I am trying to make to many scenes to fill my portfolio, and I and shortcutting on detail and texturing in some cases.Should I do 10 real detailed 1 item pieces or 1 big scene textured great and screen shots of all the pieces in the scene. I have spent a lot of money going to school and I really need to get in my field. I want to be and environment artist. Please any advice so I can sink my teeth into one great project.

# 2 27-10-2008 , 11:57 AM
show us work to date

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 27-10-2008 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber
here are a few recent renders.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 27-10-2008 , 12:00 PM
Subscriber
another

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 27-10-2008 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
heres another

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 27-10-2008 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber
here are some older ones.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 27-10-2008 , 12:05 PM
Subscriber
by the way some I never finished texturing just showing you what I have.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 27-10-2008 , 12:06 PM
Subscriber
another

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 27-10-2008 , 12:09 PM
Subscriber
I have more but here are a few.

# 10 27-10-2008 , 12:10 PM
Subscriber
here is another.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 27-10-2008 , 12:11 PM
Subscriber
one more.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 27-10-2008 , 12:21 PM
Subscriber
I think I should work on one big detailed scene and a lot of screen shots. My problem is I am never satisfied with my work. I can make detailed models as you can see from the furnace room and the microphone. I just never have made a scene that has made me say wow! In school I would make a bunch of models but I was new to 3d so I didn't know how to make them detailed. With practice I learned how, but I spend so much time making it detailed I would skimp on the texturing. I know that will never get me in the industry. I am going to rededicate myself but i need a little guidance in which direction I should take. I have improved on lighting and modeling and texturing but I don't think I am spending enough time on populating my scenes and on my texturing. I think I will make one big scene or 5 small detailed pieces. My friend in school work on one scene for a portfolio class and made it really detailed. He worked the whole semester on it. I did 5 scenes that were okay but I think I should have done like him.

# 13 27-10-2008 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
i'm not in the industry but from what i know you should target your portfolio to the area you want to go in, the same way you tailor your cv to a job, you tailor your portfolio to it too

if you're going for a modelling job you show your work with wireframes as well so the posible employees can see your topology

lighting you show off lighting more than anything else

same with textures and animation

i think you need a demo reel as well, usually put onto VHS (since studios still use such things apparently, even though digital is becoming commercial VHS is still used)
don't bother putting sound into a demo reel cuz no one plays them with sound

of course, these are claims i recall from someone at a siggraph conference either this or last year.

have you ever been in a job interview before? (any job interview, not just one for this industry)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 27-10-2008 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
i'm not in the industry but from what i know you should target your portfolio to the area you want to go in, the same way you tailor your cv to a job, you tailor your portfolio to it too

if you're going for a modelling job you show your work with wireframes as well so the posible employees can see your topology

lighting you show off lighting more than anything else

same with textures and animation

i think you need a demo reel as well, usually put onto VHS (since studios still use such things apparently, even though digital is becoming commercial VHS is still used)
don't bother putting sound into a demo reel cuz no one plays them with sound

of course, these are claims i recall from someone at a siggraph conference either this or last year.

have you ever been in a job interview before? (any job interview, not just one for this industry)

Yes i have been on a job interview, quite a few. I work now just not doing what I love. I got into 3d to be able to tell a story using my imagination. I just need to figure out how to get the job I want.

# 15 28-10-2008 , 07:31 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dont show unfinished stuff unless its finished, so to speak, show in progress stuff from wires thru to textures to final render.

If you have followed tutes dont include those as it will show you are relying on someone to help you along and could prove to be a hinderance at a job. Fair enough you cant know everything but you'd be expected to know a fair bit without relying on a source. Though we all need help at times...you know what I mean though

Try and be specific of what type of work it is you want to do then show those skills in your portfolio.

Jay