Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 23-12-2010 , 09:28 AM

Checkerboard Pattern

Hello everybody.

I've got a problem with my character.
I'm now at the point of texturing my character, but I ran into a problem.
As you can see in the attachment, my checkerboard pattern is not covering the entire body.

But when I look at the nod I can clearly see that he has a the pattern on him.
Maybe this has something to do with the fact that body was made in 3ds max and than further modeld in maya,

A friend of my saved it as a .fbx so i could open it in maya.
Could some one help me with this problem, coz I really need to texture this one.

With Kind Regards.
Mark

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-12-2010 , 09:52 AM
Lifetime Member
Try assigning a new shader to the model mate...that may help..I have had trouble with CAD files doing the same thing. Open the Hypershade and delete the old one...make a new one and assign it...see if this helps...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 23-12-2010 , 10:14 AM
Thanks for you reaction mate,

I did what you said and it works user added image.
But did also something different, coz I deleted my history. user added image. so now it works and I can start with texturing.

Thnx for your time user added image

*edit*
And for some strange reason I need to unitize first to see the checker pattern.

Last edited by Nomeni88; 23-12-2010 at 10:30 AM.
# 4 23-12-2010 , 12:03 PM
Now I stumbled on an another problem,

I can see the checker pattern on my whole character, but when I place a .tga file on it, The tga file places itself on every face of the character and not over the whole character as it should be.

# 5 23-12-2010 , 12:35 PM
Lifetime Member
hmmmm thats not normal....cant help mate LOL I dont think I have had that happen before......and trust me if it can be broken Im the man. I have assigned shaders to certain faces on purpose but have not had Maya do it without me....duplicated faces or mesh on the import. Is the mesh one mesh?? start by process of elimination mate...thats all I can suggest unless one of the guru's can chip in.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 23-12-2010 , 12:41 PM
Haha, nevermind,

But here are some screenshots to make it more clear,
The first is with the checker pattern, without unitize it,

The second is with the unitize function

And the third is with the .tga version on it.

Please help me coz I need to texture this 1 so it can run in UDK. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 23-12-2010 , 04:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
Have you UV mapped your character? If not, that's what you'll need to do. The Maya docs have a pretty good intro tut.