Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-05-2008 , 09:53 AM
Subscriber

speed racer worst movie ever!!

after reading the CG article on popular science, knowing its directed by the Wachowski bros, and hearing the phenomenal techno on the trailer, I was pumped this whole week to go see the movie. I thought I was up for some sweet bullet time matrix action with modified speed automobiles along with action-packed techno[like in the trailer] but it was a huge disappointment. probably the worst movie I have ever seen with an official F rating. which is very ironic because the Wachowski bros made "the matrix" which was my alltime favorite movie. what happened???????????why would they do that?????? At first I was confused why Keanu turned down the role but now I understand. This movie had no style similar to the matrix and the storyline was rather predicatable with cheesy comedy. the flik had no techno but instead was covered with 60s looney toons soundtracks. i understand a lot of the cg environment is suppose to keep in style but is it really aesthetically pleasing? for me I didn't think so and the picture didn't seem very interesting to look at. It wasn't like Sin city which had a very unique and aesthetically appealing look to it in my opinion. and on the opening night about 90% of the theater was empty. I probably misunderstood the trailer and I think this was more for a family/children audience.

what did you guys think of this movie?

# 2 09-05-2008 , 10:13 AM
Isn't the movie based on a children's anime series?

That would explain the predictable story, cheesy comedy and the 1960s Looney Toons soundtrack.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 09-05-2008 , 10:37 AM
Acid44
its based on a childrens anime series from the 60s or 70s... i used to watch that when i was like 4... dont remember anything from it though:p

# 4 09-05-2008 , 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
LOL I think thats what roped in the people who even bothered to see this film "from the same people who made the matrix" was its only marketing angle, its still freakin Speed Racer, you gotta love Hollywood.

- Genny
# 5 09-05-2008 , 10:44 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
LOL I think thats what roped in the people who even bothered to see this film "from the same people who made the matrix" was its only marketing angle, its still freakin Speed Racer, you gotta love Hollywood.

lol i know dude!! that marketing angle! what a jip! i watched that trailer way too fast

Last edited by danotronXX; 09-05-2008 at 10:48 AM.
# 6 09-05-2008 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
The Wachowski bros are cons man!!:headbang: the idea behind
the matrix was a complete ripoff of ghost in the shell and a bunch of other anime spliced together, what they did was take it from cartoon to live action, and that was thanks to the hard work from the cg artists and vfx guys, not the Wachowski bros ,

i knew right off the bat that sped racer wasn't going to be all that good because the trailer didn't impress me,

also didn't one of the wachoski brothers have asex change operation, user added image well wouldn't that make them the wachoski brother and sister,

Hey danotronXX maybe you should make your own version of speed racer, after watching matroplis feaver i know you have the skills to pull it off,

p.s matroplis feaver was awsome, and my family thought so too:bow:

Last edited by jali; 09-05-2008 at 03:50 PM.
# 7 09-05-2008 , 03:59 PM

Originally posted by jali
the matrix was a complete ripoff of ghost in the shell and a bunch of other anime spliced together,

Not exactly Jali. Yes the Whatever brothers are cons but for a much different reason. https://intellectualliberal.blogspot....atrix-and.html

This is why The Matrix was good and Speed Racer sucked. Not to mention, the Matrix had better acting sort of. And the old cartoon Speed Racer was far better than the movie- you can bet on that.

But after watching Iron Man again I felt MUCH better.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman

Last edited by AnthonyCg; 09-05-2008 at 04:02 PM.
# 8 09-05-2008 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by AnthonyCg
Not exactly Jali. Yes the Whatever brothers are cons but for a much different reason. https://intellectualliberal.blogspot....atrix-and.html

This is why The Matrix was good and Speed Racer sucked. Not to mention, the Matrix had better acting sort of. And the old cartoon Speed Racer was far better than the movie- you can bet on that.

But after watching Iron Man again I felt MUCH better.

i agree watching iron man should excorsise the bad memories of speed racer

# 9 09-05-2008 , 07:47 PM
19 year Veteran

Originally quoted by:danotronXX

after reading the CG article on popular science, knowing its directed by the Wachowski bros, and hearing the phenomenal techno on the trailer, I was pumped this whole week to go see the movie. I thought I was up for some sweet bullet time matrix action with modified speed automobiles along with action-packed techno[like in the trailer] but it was a huge disappointment. probably the worst movie I have ever seen with an official F rating. which is very ironic because the Wachowski bros made "the matrix" which was my alltime favorite movie. what happened???????????why would they do that?????? At first I was confused why Keanu turned down the role but now I understand. This movie had no style similar to the matrix and the storyline was rather predicatable with cheesy comedy. the flik had no techno but instead was covered with 60s looney toons soundtracks. i understand a lot of the cg environment is suppose to keep in style but is it really aesthetically pleasing? for me I didn't think so and the picture didn't seem very interesting to look at. It wasn't like Sin city which had a very unique and aesthetically appealing look to it in my opinion. and on the opening night about 90% of the theater was empty. I probably misunderstood the trailer and I think this was more for a family/children audience.

Man, I cant believe you actually thought Speed Racer was going to be a good movie. I knew the moment I saw the trailer it was going to suck. I liked the first Matrix flick. The others really sucked.

I watched speed racer in the 70's and early 80's when it was still in syndication on regular tv. It's really made for kids more than anything else, but kids these days are nothing like the kids back then. Today, video games have tooken the place of all the saturday morning and weekday afternoon cartoons that use to be shown way back in the day for kids. Actually, I'm surprized that the Wachowski bros would market Speed Racer for the kids today. There's not too many kids today that would actually sit down and watch the classic toons let alone the movie, and if it doesn't sell a XBOX or PS3 game then forget it. The Wachowski bros have lost it in my opinion.

# 10 09-05-2008 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
this movie sounded like a failure from the first moment I heard they were making it. I will not go see it, and from what others have said it was a smart decision on my partuser added image

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 11 09-05-2008 , 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by THX1138
Man, I cant believe you actually thought Speed Racer was going to be a good movie. I knew the moment I saw the trailer it was going to suck. I liked the first Matrix flick. The others really sucked.

I watched speed racer in the 70's and early 80's when it was still in syndication on regular tv. It's really made for kids more than anything else, but kids these days are nothing like the kids back then. Today, video games have tooken the place of all the saturday morning and weekday afternoon cartoons that use to be shown way back in the day for kids. Actually, I'm surprized that the Wachowski bros would market Speed Racer for the kids today. There's not too many kids today that would actually sit down and watch the classic toons let alone the movie, and if it doesn't sell a XBOX or PS3 game then forget it. The Wachowski bros have lost it in my opinion.

Omg, finally! I thought the first Matrix was great, the 2nd and 3rd had an "overproduced, tried too hard" feel to em' and it got to a point where I felt embarrassed for them, kinda like how I felt sitting in that theatre watching The Hulk.

Frankly, I don't know who thought Speed Racer could actually translate into a worthwhile movie As a little girl I used to love Jem and the Holograms, would it make a good movie? I seriously doubt it lol, and would the kids of today care to watch it? probably not, you just had to be there so now you can say "aah the good ol' days". Its just the latest installment of "old comic/cartoon goes big screen" and it was a swing and a miss.

- Genny
# 12 09-05-2008 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by jali
the matrix was a complete ripoff of ghost in the shell and a bunch of other anime spliced together

also didn't one of the wachoski brothers have asex change operation, user added image well wouldn't that make them the wachoski brother and sister,

p.s matroplis feaver was awsome, and my family thought so too:bow:

thanks for the metropolis fever compliments jali i appreciate ituser added image

yea on the credits of speed racer I needed something fast to clean my brain from the contamination. Iron man was an option but then again I saw it last week. my blood pressure was startin to go up so I had to think fast until my friend quickly pulled out star wars from his dvd player and I finally gained my sanity back lol

Not exactly Jali. Yes the Whatever brothers are cons but for
a much different reason.
https://intellectualliberal.blogspot....atrix-and.html

I can't believe they stole it from an unknown lady. I've read a lot of mixed opinions on this at amazon.com
but I personally believe they did take her work. I looked at a couple of the graphic pages from the book
and noticed some of the names and storyline aspects(such as the pills) were identical.
I also wouldn't dought them not taking a bit from anime and manga, I heard the wachowski bros grew up on a lot of that stuff and a lot of people say they're known to take stuff from people
...not to mention hollywood does it also . But I highly agree with seeing the vast talent
of those movies in the visual and special effects team. I bet those are the true "behind-the-scenes" guys
that come up with the epic scenes like the elevator shootout and the matrix reloaded fight scene with the smiths. I think theyre the ones whos should get a bulk of the credit rather than overpaid directors and producers who really only know how to count money.

and on the side, whats up with that sex change honestly??

Last edited by danotronXX; 09-05-2008 at 09:07 PM.
# 13 09-05-2008 , 09:19 PM
Acid44

that is freakin nuts i had no idea that crap ever happened... stupid corporate media DEATH SQUAD!!!!

# 14 09-05-2008 , 09:52 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
it is a family movie IE a kids movie (hence the U/PG rating (cant remember which))

I wasnt going to see it but then i found out it was made by the people that made the matrix, so i though it may be good. Then i say the age rating and decided it cant be anything like the matrix so might not be anywhere near as good. now im glad i didnt see it

# 15 09-05-2008 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber
on the side, whats up with that sex change honestly?? [/B][/QUOTE]

i think after the Matrix the dude finaly hade enough money to do it