Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-02-2005 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber

Spec for running Maya smoothly

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my computer, what is the ideal specs to run Maya smoothly and quickly? I don't know what I'm currently running so pls just assume I don't have a computer and what spec I'm looking for.

Mike

# 2 28-02-2005 , 06:36 PM
nothing much needed, depends what you will be doing, i recomend minimum requirements as a gig of ram, 2 ghz cpu and a mid range g force card.

Best you coudl get would be a 64 bit cpu (dont know if maya supports this yet). If not that then a P4 3.2 or somthing, 2 gigs of Ram and a nice gforce fx card.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 28-02-2005 , 06:37 PM
What you need, urgently is RAM, not a lot of ram but GOOD ram. I have 512MB and running Perfectly smooth, never experienced lag. Get Corsair XMS DDR400, it is a lot more expensive but even 512 would do it with every App and every game. I would also reccomend AMD proccesor, 2500+ or better. Check newegg.com, best prices on the NET and fast shipping too user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
--Albert Einstein
# 4 28-02-2005 , 06:39 PM

Originally posted by LauriePriest
nothing much needed, depends what you will be doing, i recomend minimum requirements as a gig of ram, 2 ghz cpu and a mid range g force card.

Best you coudl get would be a 64 bit cpu (dont know if maya supports this yet). If not that then a P4 3.2 or somthing, 2 gigs of Ram and a nice gforce fx card.

if you want 2 gigs, you need 4 slots of ram on your mobo because the 1GB stix of RAM stink because they have HIGH LATENCY... user added image user added image

--Albert Einstein
# 5 28-02-2005 , 06:41 PM
What's your budget?

basic specs from me:

P4 or AMD chip @ 2Ghz or greater
1GB RAM PC-2100 or greater
VGA cards tend to be personal so get something higher end
Run RAID or go scsi raid

those are my basic specs for ya off tha cuff user added image

# 6 28-02-2005 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
To be honest, I don't really have a budget as I wont do things by half measures. I've just thrown out my old monitor in favour of a 19" flat screen.

I seen to experience a 'lag' when occassionally between menus and rotating etc

# 7 28-02-2005 , 08:23 PM
RAM for starters then user added image

# 8 28-02-2005 , 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Saiyan
What's your budget?

basic specs from me:

P4 or AMD chip @ 2Ghz or greater
1GB RAM PC-2100 or greater
VGA cards tend to be personal so get something higher end
Run RAID or go scsi raid

those are my basic specs for ya off tha cuff user added image

dude, PC2100 is $h!t, you could get 50GB of PC2100 and it will still lag. You don't get this: it is not the memory, it is how fast the stick can write memory. 2100 is 2.1GB/s , 3200 is 3.2 GB/s. If you get 1GB, you will never fill it up anyways. SO get Corsair 512 XMS DDR400

--Albert Einstein
# 9 28-02-2005 , 08:45 PM
I have 768MB of PC2100 and I get no lag.....so I don't know what your config is doing....

My question was general....to give an idea only....meaning do not go below this line. Not everyone has the money for the latest greatest....he mentioned half measures....what if his current motherboard doesn't support that ram....now it's a mobo/ram and possible cpu upgrade....just for RAM

So more specs of your current config are needed j5ive