Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-04-2009 , 07:42 PM
Subscriber

subscription vs non-subscription

Hello Simply Maya community!

I haven't visited this site in nearly three years but I'm glad to see everyone is still going strong!

I used to muddle a friend of mine's copy of Maya in college and haven't touched it since. I've used lightwave briefly but find the Maya interface more friendly and familiar.

So before I go out and buy a copy I want to get the opinions of a community I trust and respect.

The two big questions I have about purchasing my new copy of Maya is:

1) Should I order complete and invest in an unlimited upgrade down the road or go straight for unlimited?

2) On the Autodesk website they list a purchase with or without subscription. What is the difference and what would be recommended?

Just to give you guys a little about my abilities (it may make a difference in what you recommend):

Have not touched a 3d software program in two years.
Experience in Maya 4 and Lightwave
Beginner level 2d art experience
Needs to develop workflow skills
Strongest skills is in polygon modeling, need to develop nurbs
modeling and subdiv skills
Beginner level texturing, lighting, animation, effects knowledge
Some Photoshop knowledge
Goal: professional level artwork for a fun and rewarding hobby. Maybe even join in a SM-competition or two as a noob/ amateur artist.

Cheers!

:attn:

# 2 10-04-2009 , 08:38 PM
EduSciVis-er
What I did, and I'm thinking that I made the right decision, is bought a student version. If you're not planning on using it commercially right away, then it makes sense to spend less while getting the exact same functionality. Plus, you can get the unlimited version for about 4-500 bucks, so you can ignore your question about complete vs. unlimited user added image
And the student version plus the upgrade to commercial is cheaper than the commercial version on its own.

About the subscription, I don't know all the details, but I think it gives you access to technical support, more resources (as if there aren't tons of tutorials and extras and everything available already on sites like this), and free updates like service packs (not 100% sure about that one). Oh yeah, and simple license management, whatever that means. In my opinion, unless you're a business or think that Autodesk is the only place to get resources and help, it's not worth it. That being said, I don't have a subscription, so maybe someone who does can elaborate on potential benefits.

# 3 11-04-2009 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
stwert,

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure I qualify for the student edition. But its definitely something to look into. Thanks for the heads up!

Regards,

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 4 11-04-2009 , 05:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
Oh yeah... haha, sorry, I didn't even think about that. Technically I'm not a student either, but I do work at a university and that qualifies me, so maybe that's why I didn't associate the student versions with just students.

In that case, I guess you need to decide whether or not you'll be doing a lot of dynamics work, such as cloth, hair, fluids etc. and that should tell you whether or not you should go for unlimited.