Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-11-2007 , 06:19 AM
Subscriber

Self-Colliding Particles

Yet again I'm doing some particle simulations, and this time I am trying to have particles hit a surface and clump up and move around.

I feel like it should be a single button I need to press, but how do I get the particles to collide with each other? I can get them to collide with the target surface, but I cant seem to figure out how to make the particles collide with one another.

Thanks everyone!

Death is certain, Life is not.
# 2 07-11-2007 , 09:40 AM
Subscriber
Just make sure all of your particles are on the same collision layer, and make sure they are all rigid bodies. user added image

# 3 09-11-2007 , 01:18 AM
Subscriber
Only problem with that is, only NURBS and polygonal surfaces may be selected to create rigid bodies :-/

# 4 09-11-2007 , 12:47 PM
Subscriber
If you specify on what you are exactly trying to do we can help...

Are you trying to recreate smoke? water?

You can apply different forces or fields to help you achieve the kind of effect you are describing.

# 5 17-11-2007 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber
Well, its kind of hard to explain because I'm trying to recreate something that occurs and a scale not visible to the human eye, sort of like a visualization. Basically particles get blown over this surface, and as they do, they interact and move across the surface, some sticking, some bouncing off, and some clumping together.

I really have no idea how create such an intricate system with so many variables.

# 6 17-11-2007 , 10:41 PM
You could use the surface as a goal that way they will try to get to it, you can then adjust the stregnth of the goal.

For interparticle collisions select the particles and give them a radial field, setting the distance to suit the size of the particles.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 01-07-2009 , 09:28 PM

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com