Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 46 10-04-2010 , 03:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks dave, you arent related to my Dad are ya?? bahahahahahaha.

Here is the start of the canopy, got the frame wrong at the front so getting it to fit there was a pain! Oh well food for thought next time, Im not editing it anymore.

Ive learnt a few lessons and made some big mistakes, but overall I think I have done ok for a novice. I have yet a lot more to learn.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 11-04-2010 at 08:29 AM.
# 47 11-04-2010 , 08:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok only the central stabiliser between the back section of canopy (got excited and forgot it!!!) then some other detail stuff. I must say the canopy and frame were hard, they arent perfect so pick away peoples.

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 48 11-04-2010 , 12:40 PM
Lifetime Member

editing

Ok peoples,

I have edited quite a bit and some of it looks ok, I have a mesh clash when I pull the canopy into the open position. I will have a play with that at a later date. I am going to add the aerial, intakes etc in the meantime as I am OVER editing for today.

Thanks all

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/40906...00411?h=129a81

bullet1968

# 49 11-04-2010 , 06:54 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I think you canope needs a bit more depth, was trying to get a good ref for you but had little luck. Does your dad brink to much and is a letch if so we could be related...............dave

# 50 11-04-2010 , 09:36 PM
Lifetime Member
Definitely related, into all things debauched!!!!!! I have some images but it really is a plain old simple canopy would you believe!!! I will be adding the seat and some internal stuff to give it a lived in look. I have some images of the seat and interior, talk about sparse and plain Jane!!!

Cheers bullet

this is all I could find too, as you can see not much to it really

https://images.google.com.au/images?h...ed=0CCcQsAQwAw

bullet1968

# 51 14-04-2010 , 01:25 PM
Lifetime Member

finished model

Well I think Ive finished anyways!!!

Long and hard road, thought about giving it all away, real life dramas dont help either.

I hope you like it, I am not 100% happy, I would like to have added some more details to it but to tell the truth Im over it ATM.

Forgive the rough fuselage, I have tried to smooth it out some more but I am not that skilled in this artwork yet, give me more time.

Texture will e next, i will start some tonight or tomorrow deoending on how I feel emotionally. Im tired and have learned a lot as well as burned some brain cells with the input of data to the mind.

Thanks again keep watching the textures will be next. I will say I will be adding the Australian fatigues and marks on this model to diiferntiate from Kurts and of course to show pride of my counrty's sacrifices during the wars.

I hope (wish me luck) to have it done by ANZAC day.

cheers bullet

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/fini...del%20only.wmv

bullet1968

# 52 14-04-2010 , 01:26 PM
Lifetime Member
forgive my bad spelling, Im tired

yes yes oh mastyer teachers I forgot the bloody guns!!!!! I just realised when I ripped into the 1st vid of Kurts tut on texture.

My apologies for the early take off, that will be fixed sometime.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 14-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.
# 53 19-04-2010 , 12:38 PM
Lifetime Member
ok between the rocks I have been UV mapping!! what a pain in the coight!!!!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/pald...re%20query.wmv

thanks to paldav for the support on this one!!!!

While I am at it, birails!! is there a good tut on this method??? I like it for things like the cockpit (yes paldav I know, I know) because I am able to shape things better on a live surface. I have tried it a few times, learned to create the CV's fairly evenly etc. BUT I am one roo short of a mob so to speak and need a guide, any help???

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 54 06-05-2010 , 01:45 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi guys,

sorry its been a while, too many projects on the go I think. I have nearly finished the exterior mapping, Im not going to do the interior just yet (modelling). I want to finish this, and get stuck into the Tie-fighter to hone my skills in modelling a bit more bfore I tackle interior design.

I have a few things that are probably out to you guys, overall Im happy and will take on board any critique for the next one. I have learnt a lot and hope to learn a hell of a lot more.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 55 06-05-2010 , 01:46 AM
Lifetime Member

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 56 06-05-2010 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
Looking good bullet, aint U.V.'s just hard work...

free memory low..exception thrown
# 57 06-05-2010 , 10:02 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mate,

you sure hit the nail on the head on that one. I have a new found respect for the guys that do this for gaming etc!!! thats for sure!!!! Its kinda like my job actually, a lot of editing (not my work but junior Surveyors) to get it right for the client.

aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr nearly done though, the more I do it I seem to figure it out a little. Makes you think though, how to model as well!!!!! Simple as possible man!!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 58 11-05-2010 , 02:51 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok, thank f....n christ for that!!!! jeezzzzz paldav you werent bloody wrong!!!! What a pain in the coight!!

All done now just the lovely section of painting in PS.

1 NEARLY finished model, not far to go now. I hopefully will learn a bit about the texture side so I can finish the Lego man as well, cant get a good res on the thing!!!

I had some trouble doing an ENV sphere in this Spitfire, it wouldnt create for some reason?? I can do it in other projects but not this one.

Whew I certainly have learnt a bit!!!! On to the painting section.

Thanks Kurt for the great tutorial, I only missed bits on the model between sections, you must have added some detail and I didnt, oh well. Other than that good so far.

cheers bullet

vid attached

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/Spit...WIP_101105.wmv

bullet1968

# 59 11-05-2010 , 04:52 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Looking good bullet. Hope to see some nice texturing............dave

# 60 11-05-2010 , 10:51 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks dave,

yes I will be taking some time and having patience on the texture!!! After the UV mate I want it to look good.

cheers bullet

bullet1968