Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 08-04-2010 , 03:45 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Yeah, you might want to model it separately. When you try to run edge loops to harden your cockpit-rib edges, you're going to run creases down your fuselage, it looks like you have a few as is.

But it is starting to really look the part.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 32 08-04-2010 , 03:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Mayaniac!!! Im trying man, i tried the new way it was an idea paldav gave me, similar to his workflow but a different approach, I think?

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 33 08-04-2010 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
Hey Bullet

take a second to stand back, you want the cockpit to be seperate mesh from the fuselage, so they have to end up (no matter how you originate the geometry) as seperate meshes.

You want them to match the curvature of the fuselage as well, forget nurbs and curves, use your fuselage polys as the starting point, extrude faces or edges, extract then tweak.

Dont forget if it was easy there would be no forum!

free memory low..exception thrown
# 34 08-04-2010 , 11:22 PM
Lifetime Member
I have basically done that in the end paldav, yeh it aint easy man. All I did for the front frame was use a lateral plane and CV tool it to get the right shape, then ended up pretty much what you did by extruding edges and tweaking them.

Yeh I realised after I posted that I had made it 1 mesh to look at it and accidently merged some vertices, I will have to go around and seperate it, never mind. The work of a novice is never ending!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 35 09-04-2010 , 12:49 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok guys,

this vid is 13M I couldnt get it smaller, Camstudio can be a bit fickle, so you have been warned.

I have basically re done the canopy fram and now will do the actual canopy itself. Again it will be a hybrid way probably but as long as I get the end result, it doesnt matter.

Your criticism is appreciated, did I spell that right?? need more beer user added image

cheers bullet

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/spitfire-100409_WIP.wmv

bullet1968

# 36 09-04-2010 , 05:55 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Nice one man.

I have no crits, you pretty much covered them in the video user added image
Nice work. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 37 09-04-2010 , 06:46 PM
Subscriber
Its good to see you get over that wall mate!

free memory low..exception thrown
# 38 09-04-2010 , 07:30 PM

Originally posted by bullet1968
I am also working on a Triumph T100 as a boredom release (cos it gets a tad tiring on the same thing).

Would love to see your progress on this. Modeling a Bonneville has been on my shortlist for quite some timeā€”one of my favorite motorcycles. Having a difficult time figuring out relative sizes of the parts and seeing the details, though. Here are some good orthographic references:

https://www.hermys.com/triumph/t100/

You can also go by year by modfiying the year in the url like this:

https://www.hermys.com/triumph/t100/2007/

I've been wanting to visit some local Triumph dealerships to see if they'll let me take pictures of any unassembled parts (frame especially). I have a few ref pics I've found off ebay but would be hard to get exact shape/size from. triumphrat.net is another good reference.

I noticed in one of the 3d magazines (3d world, maybe), a render of a t-100 made it into their gallery....the artist's website link didn't work though, unfortunately.

Anyway, sorry about the spitfire hijack.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 39 10-04-2010 , 12:48 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Mayaniac, yeh I noticed a few of the errors when I did the phong shader (tip from ctbram), I will clean them up.

Thanks paldav,

it was a bloody big wall mate but I got there. I have learnt a valuable lesson (which I kinda forgot as I was following the tut too closely. LAYERS!!!!! and keep the components seperate for modelling, when FINISHED then combine and save in a different file, that way I can go back and tweak it without harm.

Hi nitro,

no hijacking!!!! bahahahaha my mate just bought the 2010 T100 Bonneville, I will be able to get whatever you want (assembled of course) photo wise!! I am looking for a schematics diagram which might be hard to find for such a new bike, if I get one I will forward it to you without delay.

thanks again everyone

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 40 10-04-2010 , 12:52 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks nitro for the pics!!! I had been searching for a front shot but couldnt find one!!!

I used the rear and side shots from the one with the green tank (2008 model I beleive) and a top shot but couldnt get the side one to scale into the top and rear!!!! The tank didnt fit when the seat did and vice versa???? had me buggered.

My mate who owns the bike reckons I would have serious trouble with the spokes, being a novice at this and all. Guess what??? I made some experimental ones last night, I won the beer!!!!!

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 10-04-2010 at 12:59 AM.
# 41 10-04-2010 , 01:00 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 10-04-2010 at 01:07 AM.
# 42 10-04-2010 , 01:29 AM
Nah, you don't get a beer, yet. :p Laced spokes are more complex than that...IIRC, two spokes on one side and two spokes on the other side of the hub, one pair slanting forward, the other slanting back (if 36 spokes, use 10 degrees forward and 10 dgrees back). Once you have those four setup, you can duplicate them around like you did. Anyway, if you want to start a different thread for this, by all means, do it. I also have a buddy that has a nice goodwood green bonnie...gorgeous bike. He's been turning it into a cafe racer but I don't think he took any pictures for me while it was disassembled.

I'm glad you're modeling laced spokes rather than those weird thick spoked mags they put on the newer ones. Also, the newer models have EFI, not carbs but Triumph has a piece to make it look like it has carbs...hehe.

If you start really getting into modeling it, start a new thread...this one should stay more on topic with the spitfire.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 43 10-04-2010 , 01:42 AM
Lifetime Member
I know nitro I was being a smartarse to him, bahahahaha.

Yes the placement of the spokes WILL be difficult but I will manage. I have started already I will start a new thread shortly. I have done the wheels a couple of times so I am waiting for his photos which hopefully will be done over the weekend.

I agree on the spokes!!!! I think the modern mags on cars and bikes dont always suit so to speak. I think thats why he bought it, he likes the retro look. I will post what I have done in a new thread.

cheers bullet

PS I sent you a link to a page I found with parts on it, hope it helps?

bullet1968

# 44 10-04-2010 , 11:30 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

# 45 10-04-2010 , 02:53 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
No pain no gain, looking good.............dave